UHF Pro remote extender.

Pepper, the diagram that you show seems to make the antenna look a lot shorter and the coils spaced much closer together than what the instructions call for. Did you just make a smaller version of it for an example only? If that is the size that it is supposed to be then maybe I messed up from the conversion from centimeters to inches. I looked on a ruler and it said roughly 2.5 centimeters per inch which gets me about 6 inches between each coil, around 6 inches above it and below each coil. Is this correct? The antenna seems a bit taller than the UHF antenna that comes with the receivers if that is the correct measurement.

My first attempt at this failed because evidently one of the specified lengths are wrong. I stripped 48cm of RJ6 but ran out of wire. The two "three-wrap" coils take nearly 6cm each. Therefore:
16cm + 6cm + 16cm + 6cm + 14cm = 58cm.

If the specs are correct, You need about 60cm (2 feet) of stripped cable to start. Here's what I ended up with on the second try. My interpretation is VERY different from the photos Pepper posted above. I think mine must be wrong though because the new antenna is much WORSE than the stock one on my dvr942! I can't get more than 25' away from the tuner then it doesn't work anymore. :(

Attachments

• rf-ant1.jpg
    rf-ant1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 312
  • rf-ant2.jpg
    rf-ant2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 266
thats a great design for a bigger antenna...
another thing that i have done on many of jobs with dual-tuner boxes, is to combine the UHF antenna, and my TV2 signal on the same line to the other room, then in that room split them back apart...
so far it has worked every time
on one job i did... from the back of the receiver, the remote jack, and TV2 out jack into a splitter, then into a diplexer with the sat feeds, then down to the basement through the other diplexer, then out another 125 feet to the metal garage, where i used a splitter, one side to the TV, the other side with the little factory antenna on it.
total it went through about 200 feet of coax, two splitters, two diplexers, and two wall plates... and ended up in a metal building that before the remote didn't work at all unless you had the door open on the side facing the house....
now it works amazing, just as if it was in the same room, there is no delay at all

I just put the factory antenna on a long peice of coax to get it in the best location to where all of the tv's would work off of it. This is with the 522. It works through metal and block walls in my garage at 100-200 feet away. I am very satisfied with how well it works especially compared to the legacy UHF remotes.

birddoggy said:
thats a great design for a bigger antenna...
another thing that i have done on many of jobs with dual-tuner boxes, is to combine the UHF antenna, and my TV2 signal on the same line to the other room, then in that room split them back apart...
so far it has worked every time
on one job i did... from the back of the receiver, the remote jack, and TV2 out jack into a splitter, then into a diplexer with the sat feeds, then down to the basement through the other diplexer, then out another 125 feet to the metal garage, where i used a splitter, one side to the TV, the other side with the little factory antenna on it.
total it went through about 200 feet of coax, two splitters, two diplexers, and two wall plates... and ended up in a metal building that before the remote didn't work at all unless you had the door open on the side facing the house....
now it works amazing, just as if it was in the same room, there is no delay at all

Wow! And it works? That's too cool! :) A few of us at our shop were speculating on that idea, but never followed up on it. It's a good thing to know (and try out as well)!

I also experimented and simply made an array by combining two Dish UHF antennas at the STB which worked great in my case. Then I combined a UHF loop antenna with a Dish UHF antenna which worked even better. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)