Unable to acquire signal...

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
I'm having a lot of trouble acquiring and keeping a signal on my 622 satellite receiver.

I first got service in October 2005 and it was problem-free for about 6 months until the 8" flat coax cable that runs through my sliding door got worn down to the wire and I lost my signal. I used a spare coax cable with connectors as a temporary solution (although I couldn't close my door) and that worked fine until I was able to get a new flat cable from eBay. That cable lasted about a month and then I started having trouble with my signal going out, so I ordered another flat cable and replaced it again. The new flat cable only lasted a couple days before the signal started going out again. I get stuck at the acquiring signal screen and it cycles through steps 1-4 without completing. I tried reverting back to a regular coax cable through the door and now I can't even get that to acquire a signal. When I am lucky enough to get a signal, it lasts for a few minutes and then I lose it and it starts "acquiring satellite signal" all over again. I called Dish Network last night and spoke with Advanced technical support. We went through all the troubleshooting and they advised me that since I live in an apartment the only thing I can do is to keep ordering more flat cables.

Can anyone help me out here? I find it hard to believe that the cables could be that touchy and it doesn't make sense that I'm struggling to get a signal even with a regular coax cable. I'm not convinced that a new flat cable will even work at this point, since nothing else seems to work either. Any ideas?

The only thing I can suggest, if you have not tried it already, is do a check switch with sat cables disconnected from 622, then hook them back up and do another check switch.

I find it hard to believe that the cables could be that touchy
Well, believe it because it's true. Look - you're slamming 2GHz signals down that wire. It's not brain surgery, but this IS rocket science, ya know.

Flat cable is flatly :rolleyes: prohibited by E* install rules, but often works.

In your case it sounds like you've got it routed through the moving door part so that it's constantly being whacked. No good. Loosen the fixed part of the door and route it that way - it'll last a LOT longer, especially if you can make some minor modifications to the door frame to minimize the bending. ;)

SimpleSimon said:
Well, believe it because it's true. Look - you're slamming 2GHz signals down that wire. It's not brain surgery, but this IS rocket science, ya know.

Flat cable is flatly :rolleyes: prohibited by E* install rules, but often works.

In your case it sounds like you've got it routed through the moving door part so that it's constantly being whacked. No good. Loosen the fixed part of the door and route it that way - it'll last a LOT longer, especially if you can make some minor modifications to the door frame to minimize the bending. ;)

I personally don't care for flat cable. If it were my apartment I'd simply take a 3/8" drill bit and drill through the sill and run my cables that way. If and when I move out I'd simply plug the holes with the appropriate sealent.

Amazingly enough, E* is now, like as of today, allowing flat cable (thread elsewhere on the forum).

They do emphasize that it MUST be installed correctly, is a last resort, and has higher loss and shorter life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts