Unable To Cancel

weewilly

Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
There is no way to cancel DISH satellite service other than by telephone. On March 15th I called to cancel my service. After waiting on hold for one hour I was connected to a support representative by the name of David. David told me that he was unable to cancel my service because of a February 23rd cyberattack. He said I would have to call back on March 19th, but that he would give me a service credit from today until March 19th. I asked if he would take down my information and cancel my service on March 19th. He said he couldn't do that, so I am faced with having to call DISH again on March 19th and likely have to endure an excruciatingly long hold time. I am 83 years old and have difficulty hearing. It is ridiculous that a company can make it so difficult to cancel service.

There is no way to cancel DISH satellite service other than by telephone. On March 15th I called to cancel my service. After waiting on hold for one hour I was connected to a support representative by the name of David. David told me that he was unable to cancel my service because of a February 23rd cyberattack. He said I would have to call back on March 19th, but that he would give me a service credit from today until March 19th. I asked if he would take down my information and cancel my service on March 19th. He said he couldn't do that, so I am faced with having to call DISH again on March 19th and likely have to endure an excruciatingly long hold time. I am 83 years old and have difficulty hearing. It is ridiculous that a company can make it so difficult to cancel service.
Its interesting he gave you a date!

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm 74, but in this day everything is tied to the internet so when there is a big issue, the CSR's are helpless. I have always felt having everything in digital form without a manual backup is terrible. If the Grid goes down, we are stuck as they cannot get it back up manually.
We have been repeatedly warned as far back as the 40s not to do exactly what we are doing and that is giving full control over humans to a computer/robot!

I am far from your ages in my 50s but I feel every bit of it not suicidal, but I feel life is ridiculously hard!

I understand you are frustrated but trust me dish isn't intentionally making it difficult to cancel. Most our systems are currently down from the cyber attack. When you call they are the unable to actually fully access your account. Until it's fully operational there's not much that they can do.
What I would suggest is if you are on auto pay having your bank put a block on dish so you don't get charged again. Then once you are able to cancel explain that you tried during the outage and they should credit your final bill the difference so that your fib bill is only for the actual time prior to attempting to cancel.

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
We have been repeatedly warned as far back as the 40s not to do exactly what we are doing and that is giving full control over humans to a computer/robot!

I am far from your ages in my 50s but I feel every bit of it not suicidal, but I feel life is ridiculously hard!
I said to someone yesterday, we’re creating our own demise, and cheering it on

"SkyNet became self-aware on March 19, 2023..............."
I fear the A.I. because it will be smarter than average humans and will most likely decide that we are the problem when someone asks: How do we protect the planet? Then the A.I. will launch the missiles and then nuclear armageddon will ensue. The scary part is that both China and Russia are in a race working for their own A.I. s too. :oops:

Take a deep breath and relax. The age of instant gratification is coming to an end. In DISH’s case it already has. If you would like to know what happened try and wade yourself through almost 1000 post in the “DISH Down thread”. There are maybe 20 relevant post in that 1000 so it will take awhile.

I understand you are frustrated but trust me dish isn't intentionally making it difficult to cancel. Most our systems are currently down from the cyber attack. When you call they are the unable to actually fully access your account. Until it's fully operational there's not much that they can do.
What I would suggest is if you are on auto pay having your bank put a block on dish so you don't get charged again. Then once you are able to cancel explain that you tried during the outage and they should credit your final bill the difference so that your fib bill is only for the actual time prior to attempting to cancel.
You can call and have them cancel the autopay until the cancelation is done.

I fear the A.I. because it will be smarter than average humans and will most likely decide that we are the problem when someone asks: How do we protect the planet? Then the A.I. will launch the missiles and then nuclear armageddon will ensue. The scary part is that both China and Russia are in a race working for their own A.I. s too. :oops:
Human trolls both foreign and domestic are taking over many forums and comment sections.Can you imagine what will happen when chatbots can do the same?

I tried that an the bank can not do that, said I would have to close my 20 year account, this is absolutely ridiculous that the auto pay can not be stopped, so dish keeps charging for my service that has been disconnected due to my hopper going out in the middle of all this.

I tried that an the bank can not do that, said I would have to close my 20 year account, this is absolutely ridiculous that the auto pay can not be stopped, so dish keeps charging for my service that has been disconnected due to my hopper going out in the middle of all this.
Their website is probably in a place now where you can disable auto pay. But cancelling service and getting what you need to send equipment back still seems like an impossible task.

Dish isn't stopping you from changing to whatever you plan to do after you drop Dish. Do it, in the meantime and when they get this stuff fixed, settle any financial issues. Until then you're asking for something that can't be done