Unable to download any On Demand titles. So frustrated!

jcf2007

Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Springfield, IL
Hi, all. I'm hoping someone on here might have an idea of how to fix my problem, because I'm so frustrated I'm ready to pull my hair out. I wouldn't look good bald, either! :eek:

I am unable to download and play any Video On Demand Titles. I have a Hopper 3, and VOD has worked flawlessly until a week or two ago. The change occurred roughly around the same time my Hopper 3 updated to U313, but I am not sure if I can blame the problem on the software or not.

Whenever I try to rent a title On Demand, I get the screen with a progress bar and two buttons: "Watch Now" or "Watch Later." Previously, if I did nothing, the title would start playing on its own. Now, if I do nothing, I am just stuck on this screen for about 5 minutes, before it kicks back to live TV. I am unable to select the "Watch Now" button at all. If I go to my "Rentals" folder in my DVR, and select the title I tried to download, I get a red "Download failed" message. My only option is to delete the title. (See here: https://goo.gl/photos/CTkwcMnDFBgcGdYG6)

My set up: 1 Hopper 3, 1 4K Joey, 2 Wireless Joeys. Comcast Internet that averages 90Mbps down. Motorola modem. Asus RT-AC68U router. On Demand also does not work on any of my Joeys, either. (The same thing happens.)

Here's what I've done so far:
  • I've tried multiple titles (TV shows and movies) from several different networks (HBO, History, Disney). They always fail.
  • All of my internet-connected apps work (I've tried Netflix, Vevo, and Pandora. They work flawlessly.) I am also able to browse and search On Demand content just fine.
  • I've tried resetting the network connection on the Hopper 3.
  • I've rebooted my Hopper 3 multiple times (both using the on-screen option in diagnostics and the physical red reset button).
  • I've assigned my Hopper 3 a static IP address.
  • I've added that IP address to my router's DMZ settings.
  • I've set up port forwarding on my router for that IP address on ports 80 and 44, per the advice of DIRT on Facebook.
  • I've changed from Google DNS to automatic DNS on my router.
  • I've turned bridging off on my Hopper 3.
  • I've turned bridging back on on my Hopper 3.
Any ideas? Anything I've missed? HELP!

If it was me I would route the network connection from the modem to the Hopper 3 through an unswitched hub, and then monitor the traffic with Wireshark to see if I can see anything. But unless you have experience doing this sort of thing, I wouldn't bother. (You can't hurt anything, but its not exactly easy). No guarantee you would see the problem though.

If it was me I would route the network connection from the modem to the Hopper 3 through an unswitched hub, and then monitor the traffic with Wireshark to see if I can see anything. But unless you have experience doing this sort of thing, I wouldn't bother. (You can't hurt anything, but its not exactly easy). No guarantee you would see the problem though.

I'm fairly tech savvy, but not that tech savvy. I'm sure I could figure out how to do that with some Googling, but I dunno. Maybe if I get bored this weekend...in the meantime, I'm hoping the problem just goes away on its own, or someone else comes up with a brilliant fix!

Also a long shot, but you could take your Hopper 3 over to someone else's house or connect to an alternate network connection if available and see if it is your modem/router/ISP or if it is your Hopper or Dish. I am not sure but I don't think it would require a satellite connection to be able to download VOD.

Also a long shot, but you could take your Hopper 3 over to someone else's house or connect to an alternate network connection if available and see if it is your modem/router/ISP or if it is your Hopper or Dish. I am not sure but I don't think it would require a satellite connection to be able to download VOD.

Good idea. I've got a mobile hotspot I could use, and some spare gigs to burn through. I'll see if the Hopper is able to download anything when connecting to that.

Yep, it worked with the mobile hotspot. I ended up switching out my router, and voila ... I can download On Demand titles again. Something in my router was blocking VOD for some reason, and for the life of me I can't figure out what it was. But at least it's working now!

Excellent!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)