Unexpected hazards of the satellite hobby

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pestie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Spring Hill, FL
So, being the sort of obsessive satellite hobbyist one finds on these forums, I couldn't leave well enough alone. As I posted in another thread, I had a relatively functional motorized Primestar dish setup on Saturday, insisted on "tweaking it a little" on Sunday, and completely hosed everything up. Well, around 10:30pm tonight, I decide I can't leave it alone. I know what I have to do - move the dish just a few degrees east, maybe tweak the elevation slightly, and I should be dead on. Well, that was not to be.

I figured I could take my receiver outside and use a portable, battery-powered TV to view the signal quality meter. The TV's only got a 1.7" screen, so the numbers and text were illegible, but I could make it out enough to choose a satellite and a transponder, to get the quality meter. No problem, right? Not exactly.

First, my extension cord is too short. Fine, I go get another. No problem. Now I've got the receiver, the tiny TV, the remote, my 1/2" wrench, my head-mounted flashlight, and I'm good to go! I start hooking everything up and go to connect the coax to the motor when I see something moving.

It's a spider. OK, I think, no big deal - spiders build webs on things all the time. But what's that red mark on its abdomen... oh hell.

It's a brown widow - much more shy and less inclined to bite people than its better-known cousin, the black widow, but at least one expert claims it's more venomous.

Well, spiders don't especially scare me - even ones that can kill me - but its presence certainly makes me think twice about my plans to tinker with the dish. So what do I decide to do?

1. Take pictures. In addition to being a satellite geek, I'm also a wannabe nature photographer.
2. Mess with the dish anyway, but be very careful where I put my hands.

So I took a few pictures, and two of them actually came out reasonably well (which is surprising, given that my camera does poorly in low light, so I was holding a flashlight and trying to take flash pictures with at the same time). I have attached them for your viewing pleasure (my apologies in advance to any arachnophobes who stumble into this thread). I did attempt to align the dish, too, but it was just too hard to do without putting my hand in places where I couldn't be sure there weren't more spiders. Also, I somehow got one of the nuts on my STAB HH120 motor mount cross-threaded, and ended up breaking the sort-of-U bolt trying to get it off. I ended up admitting defeat for the night.

I did end up spraying some bug spray up under the dish mounting hardware, where the shy brown widow had run to when I showed up. I didn't really want to kill it, but dammit-all, it's that or never touch my dish again. Which did you expect me to choose? Heh...

And so concludes my tale. The moral of this story: watch where you're putting your hands, 'cause you never know how this hobby is going to try to kill you.

Attachments

• spider-1.jpg
    spider-1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 582
  • spider-2.jpg
    spider-2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 560
spiders creep me out. I had to deinstall a florencent sign once that was infested with like 50 differnt types of spiders, some 1" across, others 1mm across. millions of them.

4 cans of raid and almost falling off my ladder twice from the fumes, the sign came down :)

I have killed many black widows when adjusting my satellite dishes :(
About a month ago when I went out to align my Geosat 1.2 Meter dish there were black legs hanging out of the LNB pole :eek: So I found a spray bottle, and filled it up with soapy water and took care of that problem :D

EDIT - I hope you zoomed in on the spider in the second picture ;)

Dang and I thought wasps were bad. That thing would absolutly FREAK me out if was crawling out of a dish. My son would be outa there too. Good post for what to look out for. Thanks.

Ya know, Turbosat has the solution to this problem.
He's made his dishes "lizard-friendly" and they keep an eye out for vermin.
There goes another yummy bug. - :up
Now, what to have as a chaser? - :D

Attachments

• green-anole-03-eating.jpg
    green-anole-03-eating.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 275
The only good spider is a dead one, and even the dead ones creep me out. I don't bother with the spray, if one shows his ugly head he is dead meat with whatever I have in my hand to kill him with, and yes, I have used my bare hands to smash them. Better a little goo on your hands than a bite. :)

Anole and Turbosat are right. Lizards love to eat bugs and spiders, and they won't bother you except maybe a startle when you first spot them.

I have been known to be out at the dish in the very late hours of the night! Heck, I was even on my shed roof for almost 2 weeks straight when I first got into the hobby - I can only imagine what the neighbors thought! :)

Well I never thought about lizards and anoles eatin spiders! I guess they do, but we have so many other bugs....I knew those little guys were doing a great service but now I must thank them personally for getting rid of the spiders! ( I can't help but think of that goofy "8-Legged Freaks" movie lol)

I'm glad we don't have any of those around here. Its a trade off though as there is too much snow to keep busy with the dish. Its starting to melt, but it has a long ways to go befor its gone. The mud is just as bad once you start working around the dish.
When you replace the U bolts on the motor mount, try using some anti-seeze compound on the threads. I had a simular incident where the nuts welded themselves to the threads. I had to cut the nuts off with a hack saw and then use spacers (as the threads were gone on that section of the bolt) and use new nuts. The bolts and nuts in my case were stainless steel and I have been told it is quite common for this to happen. With a little anti-seeze compound, you will be able to remove the nuts when needed. Watch out though as once you touch the compund it will get on everything.

Ya know, Turbosat has the solution to this problem.
He's made his dishes "lizard-friendly" and they keep an eye out for vermin.
There goes another yummy bug.

Now that you mention it, my front yard (where the dish is) is full of brown anoles. I'm surprised they haven't eaten all the spiders in the area. They really are excellent at insect/arachnid control. If anyone's got any tips on making my dish more lizard-friendly, I'm all ears (or, you know... eyes)!

The worst part now is that I don't even know if the spider is dead or gone. It could still be lurking in there, waiting to kill me. I'll have to see if I can get creative with a mirror and a flashlight before I tackle the dish again this weekend.

When I started this project last weekend, I noticed the dish's mounting bracket had some old spider egg sacs attached to it. Turns out those were brown widow egg sacs (they have a very distinctive shape). I'd better start being more careful.

When you replace the U bolts on the motor mount, try using some anti-seeze compound on the threads.

That's definitely a good idea, but it wouldn't have helped in this case. This motor and its associated hardware is brand new. Somehow one of the nuts got cross-threaded, I think. Don't ask me how - it seemed properly threaded for the first 1.5 inches or so. It got itself so thoroughly locked on there that I managed to shear the bolt clean off. If I can't get a U-bolt to match (I'm not sure if these are standard or not) I might just have to make do with a piece of All-Thread bent into the proper shape.

THIS POST JUST MADE THE HAIR ON THE BACK OF MY NECK STAND UP !!!

Brought back a horrible memory of having to crawl under a 90 year old house that was infested with black widows. When I opened the crawl door all you could see, the entire length of the house, was black widow webs.

I put on the coveralls, taped up arms legs & neck, gloves, hood, etc........ and away I went. After I came out my partner knocked no less than 50 of the buggers off of me.

Needless to say I can no longer stand spiders !!!!! KILL EM ALL !!!!!!

Don't be so quick to damn all spiders...a lot of them are quite useful and beneficial to the garden. In the last 10 years, a lady bug type creature known as an Asian beetle has invaded the Upper Midwest, after getting off a ship in Chicago. They get into everything, and die in mass quantities hiding wherever they can get out of the elements. Inside feedhorn covers, LP gas cylinder covers...anywhere inside of a cover. A number of them try to survive the winter indoors, and if you're foolish enough to squish them, a very unpleasant smell results. We have left a few spiderwebs alone in strategic places, and watch the spiders devour them after they are ensnared. Law of the jungle!

What is this spider stuff!
I can’t even get to my dishes!
It’s this white stuff called snow
Spiders don’t like it!
Just plain to cold in Canada
He, He,

What is this spider stuff!
I can’t even get to my dishes!
It’s this white stuff called snow
Spiders don’t like it!
Just plain to cold in Canada
He, He,

Heh... My girlfriend's Canadian, so I get to hear the snow reports pretty regularly. I, however, live in Florida (at least for now), so I get to trade snow for deadly spider attacks. Personally, I'll take the spiders over the cold weather, but I'd also take the Canadian health care system over the sorry excuse for health care we have here, so I think you ultimately win. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.