Universal Remote

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
What would yall recommend for a universal remote? With me getting Voom soon and keeping D* for now, plus having my DVD player, TV, and A/V receiver, I already have too many remotes.

I don't want a really complex one as my wife who isn't electronic savvy has to use it too.

I would recommend any of the models made by Universal Remote Control,their web site is
www.universalremote.com.I have the MX-500 model,
and it has been a great remote,bought it when they
first introduced them,had the 9000 before that.They
have alot of choices,one should meet your needs.

If you like to tinker with things and are good with a soldering iron, check out JP1 remote controls. They sell under the One4All brand and at RadioShack. Most can be completely reprogrammed via a computer interface to work exactly how you want them to. I got this remote from Radio Shack a few years ago when they went on clearance for $20. It's not as nice as a pronto, but you can customize the heck out of all the screens.

Neutron said:
Will that one work with DVRs like the DTivo?

Yes,I've programed 2 MX-500 to work with DTIVO's.
They have a learning capability without end,I've
never run out of room,unlike the ONE-FOR-ALL
remotes.I bought my wife the URC-9910 from ONE-
FOR-All,she did not want to spend alot on her remote,big mistake,I kept running into the "full"
warning on the LCD,something that never would happen with the MX-500.The Universal Remote Inc.
remotes may cost a little more,thats because they
are worth it.Universal makes a version that you can program with your computer,if you want to go that way.Check out remotecentral.com ? I think that's
the correct address.

I picked up a Home Theater Master MX-700 two months ago; a short while after getting Voom. It works well with all my stuff - highly recommended! To be honest, I still use my old remote half of the time. It's the Home Theater Master SL-9000 and I still love it - the remote is 4 years and it too works with everything.

I have had nothing but good experiences with Universal Remote Control products. There are some other very good remotes on the market, but you can't go wrong with the MX-500, MX-700 or MX-800.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)