Unsuccessful Dish install today

mdanderson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
Garland,Tx.
Dish Network came out today and was not able to get a strong enough signal to continue with the rest of the installation. He said there was a good size tree that was blocking the signal. I had Dish about 4 or 5 years ago and was able to get service but I guess things have changed with their satellites. The installer was a young guy who was nice enough but I don't know how much he knew about everything. He said I could try DirectTV and have a better chance of success because of the position of their satellites. He also said they are able to go through trees etc better than Dish. Is DirectTV worth a try? I live in an apt. in Garland,Tx. Thanks.

Matt

Thanks Iceberg for your input. I live in an apartment and the railing on the balcony was the only place. It faces the southwest area. Thanks.

Tyralak,

I have been in this apt since 2002 and I do believe the tree has grown some. Back in 2004 Dish installed just a standard dish but they had it aimed just to the left of the tree so that the tree was not a factor. I was to have the HD dish put in today and the installer said it would be picking up 3 different satellites. He said he had to aim it in the direction of the tree to pickup the signal. I don't know why he did not try to aim it to the left of the tree.

well, in that past i assume you did not have hd, which would mean you dont have to worry about sat 129. perhaps a 500 still could get signal. cant say for sure from here, every install is unique.

Tyralak,

I have been in this apt since 2002 and I do believe the tree has grown some. Back in 2004 Dish installed just a standard dish but they had it aimed just to the left of the tree so that the tree was not a factor. I was to have the HD dish put in today and the installer said it would be picking up 3 different satellites. He said he had to aim it in the direction of the tree to pickup the signal. I don't know why he did not try to aim it to the left of the tree.
Sat 129 is lower on the horizon, whereas the other two are higher, thus the tree was not a problem. Same scenario for me, but I was able to add the 61.5 dish.

Sat 129 is lower on the horizon, whereas the other two are higher, thus the tree was not a problem. Same scenario for me, but I was able to add the 61.5 dish.

KAB,
I had Voom back when they were around years ago and I believe that dish is pointed at 61.5. Would they have been able to get everything if the installer had put a dish in for 61.5? I still have my old Voom dish up because I have an OTA attached to it which I am using for locals. Thanks.

KAB,
I had Voom back when they were around years ago and I believe that dish is pointed at 61.5. Would they have been able to get everything if the installer had put a dish in for 61.5? I still have my old Voom dish up because I have an OTA attached to it which I am using for locals. Thanks.

Yep. You sure can. Re-schedule and give it a shot.

KAB,
You should check to see if your apartment management will allow two dishes on your balcony. I would not be surprised if they did not.

Sounds like an ignorant opinion.

don't think so. I guess when the installer says
"He also said they are able to go through trees etc better than Dish" they being DirecTV

that pretty much says he can be a lazy installer and didnt want to do the job. But seeing you are an installer (or an ex-installer and your previous posts) I'd expect a skewed opinion about installers from you

"He also said they are able to go through trees etc better than Dish" they being DirecTV
Not trying to start something, Just telling you what the E* installer told me was similar. He told me as well that the D* satellites are much easier to get a line of sight then E* satellites because ,"atleast in my area" D*'s are higher in the sky. Maybe thats what the installer was getting at. I know of quite a few people that have D* because E* couldn't get a line of sight! I was able to with no problem, and most I'm sure do. But just make sure you cut back those tree limbs,nomatter D* Or E*

don't think so. I guess when the installer says

that pretty much says he can be a lazy installer and didnt want to do the job. But seeing you are an installer (or an ex-installer and your previous posts) I'd expect a skewed opinion about installers from you

Hey, you're the one who said that since the installer didn't find a spot somewhere else on the property, he must be lazy, ignoring the fact that the OP lives in an apartment.

Yeah, I bet that installer had 5 acres work to with.

As far as the "tree" thing, I pretty confident that there was a misunderstanding there between the OP and the installer, and the installer did indeed mean that D* can get OVER the trees easier than E* since their sats do sit higher.

Did I get twisted about your "lazy installer" comment?? Yes, I did.

Are you wrong about there being lazy installers?? No, unfortunately, you're not.

But, IMO, you jumped the gun in this case.

And as far as the CSRs not hearing of this happening before is just ANOTHER case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand CAN or CAN'T do. Ask Scott about this. I bet his sources can vouch for this point.

BTW, I was out of line calling your opinion ignorant. Not only as a tech, but also (and maybe even more so) as a fellow poster.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for your valuable input. The installer did make mention of DirectTVs satellites being higher in the sky just like you all said. Maybe that will be an option for me. If do try to get Dish to come out again will I be able to get all the SD and HD on a 61.5 dish? Will I need two dishes? The 61.5 direction was no problem in the past for me. It went right over the bldg across from mine. Does DirectTV require 2 dishes in order to get SD and HD?

Thanks again for all the help.

Thanks to everyone for your valuable input. The installer did make mention of DirectTVs satellites being higher in the sky just like you all said. Maybe that will be an option for me. If do try to get Dish to come out again will I be able to get all the SD and HD on a 61.5 dish? Will I need two dishes? The 61.5 direction was no problem in the past for me. It went right over the bldg across from mine. Does DirectTV require 2 dishes in order to get SD and HD?

Thanks again for all the help.

Just hang tight for a bit if you can get 61.5. Since you say you had VOOM before, you should have 61.5. DISH is working on an Eastern Arc setup where all of the content will be available from that location so it might be your best bet soon enough.

Just hang tight for a bit if you can get 61.5. Since you say you had VOOM before, you should have 61.5. DISH is working on an Eastern Arc setup where all of the content will be available from that location so it might be your best bet soon enough.

vegassatellite,
Thanks for the info on the Eastern arc that is in the works by Dish. I may wait until that happens. Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts