Update - convert all recorded shows to mobile

roadrunner562

Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I had an update that showed up this morning that gave me the option to have all recorded shows also converted to mobile. I was on the way out and didn't have time to read about it. If I still wanted to turn it on, where can I do this?

THX

Menu - Settings - DVR Defaults - DVR Default Timers (think that is the name) and then you see all the options for timers, including the prep one.

Is there a downside to having shows prepped for mobile, more space taken on hard drive?

I see no downside, because I use my I-pad every day to watch the day before tv shows at work. Having them prepared for mobile, means I don't have to wait that long to transfer a show to my I-pad.

Reactions: TheKrell
Is there a downside to having shows prepped for mobile, more space taken on hard drive?

IMO, I would say yes but only if you tend to stockpile tons of recordings on the DVR. I would imagine for the most part that people generally will watch a majority of their recordings in a timely fashion (and delete when done) and keep a good balance between recordings and DVR free space. I tend to record a lot since I do not always watch TV daily and for long periods. So my pattern of recordings to free space has pretty much stayed at about 35 to 45% full. Anything I want to keep long term I put on an EHD to keep as much space free on the DVR, otherwise delete when done.

Hoppers have pretty big drives so I can't imagine too many people keeping the hard drive full for recordings they have not watched yet (as opposed to just storing them there instead of moving to an EHD when done viewing).