Updated L2.81 Release Notes and future fix notes

WeeJavaDude said:
You were very miss informed. I turn my receiver off every night. Where did you get this information? Sounds like CSR info. If this is really dish's position they got bigger issues.

Lets all hope this is not the official word. :D

And another example of "E" blaming the customer for expecting the unit to work as advertised ;)

WeeJavaDude said:
If I recall, the 811 has an IR blaster and has a way to program a universal remote. The reason is because the 811 remote is UHF only. I have not actually done this myself so I am not sure how one would go about doing this but perhaps this is happening. I have a Pronto 3000NG. I also have an IR extender to get IR to my Sony but my IR receiver is sitting on top of my 811 and it is not picking up any signals from the 811. Maybe somehow the 811 is stuck in the remote programming mode?

Anybody now how to turn this on or off or am I smoking something here?

This seems to match the symptoms if I am understanding what you are saying?

I dont believe that is the problem. I have not had an issue with programming the Pronto to control the 811. That works fine. The problem is that the 811 itself is somehow interfering with the functionality of the rest of the pronto rf remote system. When the 811 is powered on and hooked up to the sat via rca cable...I can not control the other devises in my system (ie dvd player, preamp etc) from the pronto. When the 811 is powered off I can. I did not have this issue until after the update.

foerster99 said:
I dont believe that is the problem. I have not had an issue with programming the Pronto to control the 811. That works fine. The problem is that the 811 itself is somehow interfering with the functionality of the rest of the pronto rf remote system. When the 811 is powered on and hooked up to the sat via rca cable...I can not control the other devises in my system (ie dvd player, preamp etc) from the pronto. When the 811 is powered off I can. I did not have this issue until after the update.

That is my point... The 811 has a way that can send out an RF signal so you can program your remote. I was talking about the "Tech Remote" feature of the 811. It sounds to me that in your case it has gotten stuck. My IR repeater turns an LED on when it receives a signal from the remote. I am going to point it at my 811 and see if it is sending out any IR signals.

As a data point, does yours do the same and if so you might want to point it at the 811 to see if it is emmiting any IR signals under those conditions. This is truely an unusualy one. My point is I have an environment with an Pronto 3000 NG and a IR Extender. I am not seeing anything like you are describing.

My theory make more sense. I assume you have done the obvious "Warm Reboot". If you don't have a lot of configuraiton you might try a clearning the memory. Maybe something go corrupted and is causing the Program IR feature to go nuts under the covers.

Then again it can also be related somehow to the Timer firing fixes they put in.. Just some thoughts on how to narrow things down.

WeeJavaDude said:
That is my point... The 811 has a way that can send out an RF signal so you can program your remote. I was talking about the "Tech Remote" feature of the 811. It sounds to me that in your case it has gotten stuck. My IR repeater turns an LED on when it receives a signal from the remote. I am going to point it at my 811 and see if it is sending out any IR signals.

As a data point, does yours do the same and if so you might want to point it at the 811 to see if it is emmiting any IR signals under those conditions. This is truely an unusualy one. My point is I have an environment with an Pronto 3000 NG and a IR Extender. I am not seeing anything like you are describing.

My theory make more sense. I assume you have done the obvious "Warm Reboot". If you don't have a lot of configuraiton you might try a clearning the memory. Maybe something go corrupted and is causing the Program IR feature to go nuts under the covers.

Then again it can also be related somehow to the Timer firing fixes they put in.. Just some thoughts on how to narrow things down.

What about the fact the problem is eliminated when I unhook the sat cables from the 811? This is consistant with two different 811 recievers at my home. And the fact that the problem persists with two different 811s?

WeeJavaDude said:
Maybe somehow the 811 is stuck in the remote programming mode?

Anybody now how to turn this on or off or am I smoking something here?

This seems to match the symptoms if I am understanding what you are saying?
Maybe...Teach Remote is in Menu 6-3...

Jason

foerster99 said:
I know it's a royal pain...but is there a way to reset the pronto and relearn everything from scratch?

BTW I do have an active discussion inprogress on this topic, it is being reviewed, soon an offical or unoffical answer will appear is dependant on many variables.

Jason

WeeJavaDude said:
The 811 has a way that can send out an RF signal so you can program your remote. I was talking about the "Tech Remote" feature of the 811. It sounds to me that in your case it has gotten stuck.
Ron, the 811's teach feature is IR Blaster only, no RF output...i.e. RF in (via 811'sUHF remote) -> IR out (811's IR Blaster) to an IR learning remote.

Jason

nippjas said:
Ron, the 811's teach feature is IR Blaster only, no RF output...i.e. RF in (via 811'sUHF remote) -> IR out (811's IR Blaster) to an IR learning remote.

Jason
OOops.. I meant IR.. I know that. ;) And I went back and re-read the thread. Looks like I got confused. I read RF and translated into IR in my mind. Please disregard my comments. They sucked. :D

nippjas said:
I know it's a royal pain...but is there a way to reset the pronto and relearn everything from scratch?

BTW I do have an active discussion inprogress on this topic, it is being reviewed, soon an offical or unoffical answer will appear is dependant on many variables.

Jason

I allready did that. Updated with new firmware as well. But i dont think that is the problem as it works fine with the 811 turned off or turned on with sat in unhooked.

-b

foerster99 said:
I allready did that. Updated with new firmware as well. But i dont think that is the problem as it works fine with the 811 turned off or turned on with sat in unhooked.

-b
Did E* contact you? I forwarded your info upon request. Keep us posted.

Jason

Here an addition I didn't notice previously. On P281 Dish enabled the Dish Home button on the UHF Pro 8.0 remote...Minor I know but it works. Also if you use the DH button then hit info it blurbs back the Dish Home software revision.

Jason

Actually, 281 turned on the DishHome feature. The button couldn't work before because the feature wasn't there.

Bobby said:
Actually, 281 turned on the DishHome feature. The button couldn't work before because the feature wasn't there.

No, Dish home was there before 281. I've used it for many weeks now. :)

The DISH BUTTON did actually work before 280 (it worked in 269 I think). What happened was kind of a side effect of the 280 issue/bug of directly tuning a channel outside of your favorites list. 280 didn't allow this and instead select the next closest channel.

Thats why the DISH BUTTON didn't work. All it does is go directly to channel 100, and if you were on a favorites list it would simply goto the next closest channel.

By gosh, you're right Dave. DishHome was on during the Olympics, but the 6 channel feature wouldn't work. My bad.......

KyDave said:
No, Dish home was there before 281. I've used it for many weeks now. :)

The DISH BUTTON did actually work before 280 (it worked in 269 I think). What happened was kind of a side effect of the 280 issue/bug of directly tuning a channel outside of your favorites list. 280 didn't allow this and instead select the next closest channel.

Thats why the DISH BUTTON didn't work. All it does is go directly to channel 100, and if you were on a favorites list it would simply goto the next closest channel.
Cool...makes sense.

My 811 summary

My software version is P281LADD-N

About 3 months ago there was an upgrade that caused the receiver to not turn on sometimes but, always goes through a reboot every time I turn it on. I have noticed It doesn't lock up like it used to for no reason, so I guess it is an improvement. I just go down stairs and turn it on 5 or 10 min before I'm ready to watch TV so it gets all the bugs and reboots out of it's system before I start watching. I have occasionally left the 811 on and turn off the TV (Sony KP-51WS510) thinking this would save me a reboot later, but I have found that when I turn on the TV the 811 sometimes reboots too. Can't figure that one out at all. I'm using S video, Component, and DVI outputs from the 811 to the TV. Not sure if a surge is going back one of the cables causing the reboot or what???

I have not seen the CC issue with mine. Thank goodness.

I have a Kenwood VR-209 Receiver that does not work with the 811 DD 5.1.

Oh and on a non hardware issue .... I have the top 60 but just realized I'm getting MSNBC and Fox News that were not in the package. Did they change something or did I just get lucky?

Rick

So did they leave a number or email addy for you to followup with? Keep on them, these guys get real busy but will take the time to try and help...

PM me and I'll give you Jaime's email addy...He is the one that contacted you correct?

Jason