Upgrade Question/Advice

Vikster

Original poster
Feb 21, 2005
I've been a Dish customer for about 2-1/2 years. Pretty basic setup; 1 501, 2 301's, and Dish 500. (We don't watch a bunch of TV so only subscribe to the AT 60 package.)

I would like to upgrade primarily for the benefit of being able to watch one channel while recording another.

Here's what I've been told is my upgrade path:

New 522 $78
Installation/Handling Fee $100
Dish 1000 Upgrade $60
(My monthly fee would go up by $6 for the new 522 charge.)

I would return one of the 301s, move the 501 to the den, and use the 522 as a
dual tuner, single mode, for the the family room. By upgrading to Dish 1000 I don't have to run a second coax from the dish to the 522 and am setup for the future and HDTV.

First off does this sound like a good route to go as far as an upgrade path? Also, does the price seem about right? (I just went to the retailer that I originally got Dish from.)

Second, any thoughts on going for the 622 instead of the 522? (The cost of the 622 is $300.) I don't have HDTV now and probably won't for a couple of years. (My initial thought is to wait on the 622 upgrade until I get an HD set at which time there likely will be a newer version of the 622. No sense spending the money now for HD when I don't have an HD set.)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

The standard D1000 can only drive TWO receivers. From the sound of it, you're going to want a 522/625, 501, and a 301. No go.

Plus, why do you need a D1000? That adds the 129 bird, but if you're already getting the channels you need, there's no point.

Adding DPPlus technology DOES remove the need for a second feed to the 522/625, but with three receivers, the only choice is an EXPENSIVE DPP44 switch.

if you have 3 TV right now and you will upgrade to 522/625 then you can take both 301 out you still have option of 3 TVs and your bill should stay the same if you plug in home phone line to receiver. and if go that rout then tech can put in DPP twin with out running additional lines. but if you want to keep 301, 5xx, and 522/625 then your options additional lines or DPP 44.

DP34 switch

I believe a DP34 switch should be ok with that too , and if you don't have or need HD and the D100 isn't needed for your locals then you don't need the D1000
78.00 is ok , but if your account is kept up to date and you have no non pay disco's then you may be able to qualify for a better price to get the 522/625 recvr 49.00 is the best price an existing cust will have on that. -call dish to get a price quote

HDTV Dual Receiver, but not a DVR.

Single mode, do I need 2nd remote?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)