Upgrade Question Which Way to Go?

sonic2000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 26, 2004
North Carolina
Currently have 4700 (4900 with s/w update) in the family room and a 510 in the bedroom. This equipment was originally installed in 1998 (510 originally a 2700 updated in 2004).
Now would like to upgrade to a 622 in the family room and a 522/625 in the bedroom to feed two TV's.
Since the original install we had two upgrades, 510 receiver to replace the 2700, and a dish 1000 install due to the addition of locals in our area (49229). Both of these updates/upgrades were clusters by the installer sent to do them and wont bother with the details, but lets say the wife does not get angry, but the threat of divorce and great bodily harm to myself was eminent.

The wife has agreed to upgrades but will only allow the original installer (independent contractor) to do the work. As he treated us very well, and everything was a neat and clean installation. I talked to the original installer, but his concern is that:
1. The distance he must drive to do the work (60 miles one way)
2. The money paid him from Dish to do the work wont even cover his gas.
3. His recommendation is that I cancel the service in my name and we resubscribe in her name, that way he gets paid and we get what we want. (622/522 or 625 Dish HD Platinum Pack)

My issues:
1. The hassle of canceling my service to coordinate with the new installation?
2. When she sets up her account will Dish notice the phone number she gives and start asking questions?
3. Would it be easier if we pay him under the table his fee equal to do a new install-the money is not at issue. ( I would like amounts if this is recommended) and leave the account in my name?

Any advice or suggestions appreciated, as I truly do not wish to deal with Dish directly.

Name, address,phone number,credit card numbers and social security numbers are all used by DISH to qualify you as a new customer. Take your chances or just make the installer an offer he can't refuse.

I concur. If you really like his work and want him again, then offer him $50 or so as a tip. That's a small amount to pay considering what you will likely be paying Dish for the upgrade and for the next couple of years of service.

I tipped my replacement windows installer $150. He did a great job.

I don't know what Dish pays installers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts