upgrade to 1080p ever?

niceguypmp3

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 4, 2013
south central iowa
now that we are at the end of 2019 and 4k is becoming more and more popular, my question is does anyone know if dish has it in the plans to start broadcasting all of the HD shows/movies in full 1080p instead of being compressed into lower quality like we are so used to? You would think they would finally make the jump to full HD since 4k is now here. I understand it will be probably forever before we have 4k resolution on regular channels. any insider info on any of this?!?

now that we are at the end of 2019 and 4k is becoming more and more popular, my question is does anyone know if dish has it in the plans to start broadcasting all of the HD shows/movies in full 1080p instead of being compressed into lower quality like we are so used to? You would think they would finally make the jump to full HD since 4k is now here. I understand it will be probably forever before we have 4k resolution on regular channels. any insider info on any of this?!?
Broadcasters only provide 720P or 1080I as far as HD goes.

The only way to get 1080P is from streaming or from Blu-Ray.

Sent from my LML713DL using the SatelliteGuys app!

They could (and I think do in some cases) it for on demand movies but where would they get 1080P from Networks and OTA stations?
I see no compelling reason, however lets get all channels in HD that have an HD option. That's compelling.... :)

Reactions: Jim S. and HipKat
None of the networks provide feeds at 1080p.

Additionally, 1080i is just as good as 1080p once you deinterlace it -- a 1080i59.94 signal deinterlaces into a 1080p29.97 signal. Most TV content is only 23.976 or 29.97 FPS.

You'd be better off requesting that Dish Network stop molesting the original feeds they receive. The biggest thing that causes the poor picture quality with the cable companies and the satellite resellers like Dish / DirecTV is when they take the source feed from C-band and re-encode it before passing it on to you. If they switched to 1080p you would not notice any quality improvement as long as they keep in place their policy of re-encoding these source feeds instead of just passing them on to their subscribers untouched.

They don't even necessarily have to drop the bitrate by much for there to be huge quality loss. The simple fact that they are doing a lossy -> lossy video re-encode causes considerable quality loss. But they do also usually cut the bitrate by quite a bit when they re-encode it which further exacerbates the loss in quality.

Most of the TV channels distributed on C-band look almost as good as Blu-ray, but by the time they make it through the man in the middle and you finally see the channel, so much quality has been lost from the original feed.

You'd be better off requesting that Dish Network stop molesting the original feeds they receive. The biggest thing that causes the poor picture quality with the cable companies and the satellite resellers like Dish / DirecTV is when they take the source feed from C-band and re-encode it before passing it on to you. If they switched to 1080p you would not notice any quality improvement as long as they keep in place their policy of re-encoding these source feeds instead of just passing them on to their subscribers untouched.
If providers were to switch over to HEVC encoding for their HD content as is used with 4K, then they could achieve much better quality at the same bitrate that they transmit now. Problem is the entire field of receivers that can't do HEVC decoding would become obsolete, causing a costly, logistical and customer service nightmare.

There's more rebel rousing for ya.

the 4K feeds dish occasionally carry look as good as my 1080i C-Band. NASA in 4K on the big dish is by far the real deal.

That’s what I have heard about NASA’s 4k feed. I can’t wait until spring to install a c-band dish for this very reason. It’s time to be creative to get 4k programming until the MPVD’s get us more content in the future. 4k is definitely the next big thing and it will last so as the number of sets increase Dish / Direct would want to try and improve the quality of their existing channels. It‘s tough without tons of available bandwidth though.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
None of the networks provide feeds at 1080p.

Additionally, 1080i is just as good as 1080p once you deinterlace it -- a 1080i59.94 signal deinterlaces into a 1080p29.97 signal. Most TV content is only 23.976 or 29.97 FPS.

They don't even necessarily have to drop the bitrate by much for there to be huge quality loss. The simple fact that they are doing a lossy -> lossy video re-encode causes considerable quality loss. But they do also usually cut the bitrate by quite a bit when they re-encode it which further exacerbates the loss in quality.

Most of the TV channels distributed on C-band look almost as good as Blu-ray, but by the time they make it through the man in the middle and you finally see the channel, so much quality has been lost from the original feed.

I will agree with you on that. The raw feeds on C Band can look beautiful without arifax and all.

Reactions: jamesjimcie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts