Upgrade to 522

gblakeb

Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
You'll have to forgive me if this has been discussed before. I am a fairly recently new Dish Network customer. I have a 322 running two TVs, one in the living room, one in the bedroom. I am thinking about upgrading to a 522 pretty soon. It's $100 on Dish'n It Up. Should I wait and buy a 625 on ebay or go with the 522? Any pros or cons to each one.

From what I understand, it should only be a $4.98 DVR fee increase. In that, I have the 322 hooked up to a phone line to waive the $5 fee.

If you are lucky like some of us have been, you MIGHT get a 625 instead of a 522 with the Dish It Up deal. Many of the local installers no longer stock the 522s, hence they will bring a 625. Just depends on your local's inventory. And unless you care about VOD, they are the same unit, so the 522 is just as good. If you buy, you are spending about $350.00 and after 60 days, you are out of luck warranty-wise. Lease will get you automatic replacement as long as you are a customer. Also, you will only pay one receiver fee, so the DVR fee is a wash.

Are there any advantages to owning your receiver vs. leasing it? I only have a two room system with the 322. So that's the only receiver that I have.

From what I see, the only advantage to owning is that you could sell it later (but that really doesn't appeal to me). With leasing they replace it if something goes wrong.

Am I right on this?

You are a lease customer currently so you can't replace the 322 with an owned receiver. You can add an owned receiver to the leased receiver but you can't replace it without returning all leased equipment(dish & LNB). Usually you have to be a customer for a year before you can qualify for DIU, call DISH and talk to them.

Considering all the technology changes coming down the pipe, it's NOT a good idea to be owning stuff - the resale value is going to fall way off once MPEG-4 hits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)