upgrade to HD??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

acker1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
SE
My neighbor in the RV park is getting an HD TV and upgrading to an HD receiver from Direct. (I have DISH and frequent the DISH forum @ Satellite Guys so my Direct info is very limited). I don't know which receiver he has now. The dish is round with one LNB. 2 phone reps said he could receive HD without changing his dish. I thought Direct uses multiple sats for HD and he would need a different dish (Slimline?)
Thanks for any info you can give me.
DICK

yeah sounds like he has an old 18" dish. The slimline 3 is what they will upgrade him to. (assuming his SD locals are on 101 they will give him a Slimline 3 which gets 99/101/103...99 & 103 are the HD sats)

I measured the dish and it's 18 1/2' across & 20" high. I'll try and get a pic if needed.
Thanks
DICK

Yeah thats the old 18" dish...most of the D* dishes now are wider (due to more sat spots to have to lock). He will need a new dish

how long has your friend been a DirecTV customer? IF he upgrades thru them he will likely be able to do so on the cheap AND have them come install it.

I think he's been with them for 5/6 years. He called Direct to upgrade to HD. The first customer rep told him he would not need a new dish. Then he talked to another rep and they said the same thing.

I'll clarify the conversations tomorrow. (Kinda late now)

Thanks
DICK

be sure to tell them the exact dish by model as opposed to trying to physically describing it as that causes uncertainty and confusion - like "I have a 6yo Phase I (one) dish that only sees the 101 satellite"

Followup--Direct kept insisting the dish would work. Even when my friends called to set up the receiver. They finally convinced them to send a tech to come out & check. Last friday he arrived. End result is a new dish (oval) with one wide LNB that tech said gets 3 sats. Friends are happy and I'm happy that I was proved right!!!! :>)

Thanks for all the help.
DICK

I am surprised you had to go through 3 CSR's that told you the dish would be fine.
Anyways, glad it is all straight.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)