Upgrading from Dish 510 to 522

garrubal6

Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
I recently subscribed to Dish Network. I have only 1 TV, so I got the Dish DVR 510. I didn't know the difference at the time, but I became quite frustrated when I realized that if I was recording a show, I couldn't watch a different one. After some research, I realized that the 522 would have solved my problems. I asked Dish Network if there was a way to upgrade, and I was told no. Only if I had told them that I wasn't happy with my equipment within the first 3 days would they have done something about it.

So... I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to upgrade to the 522. It is not sold retail. I've seen some on Ebay, but apparently Dish Network might not activate the 522. So I don't want to risk that.

What if for some reason I were to get a second TV? What would Dish Network be able to offer? I presume the 522 at a cost, but I don't know.

I looked at the 721 too, but it's way too expensive, considering the 522 is something I could have gotten for free from the beginning.

Which begs the question, why offer the 510 at all, when the 522 appears to be superior (in terms of specs, I don't know about performance). The 522 would be useful for those with 1 or more TVs, rendering the 510 obsolete.

What if I waited a year, cancelled my dish membership, and then had my wife sign up as a new customer (assuming the current offers are the same, but who knows)?

Thanks for the help.

Email ceo@dishnetwork.com and explain your request.
Don't mess with the Customer Service people. You will
most likely get no where.
Email the above, giving a phone number they can reach you
during the day and I can almost guarantee you will get
someone who can help you. Works for me and many others
on this forum.
It's worth a try.

I did email ceo@dishnetwork.com and got an email back the same day. I was able to upgrade from the 510 to the 522 (at no cost to me), but I'm guessing only because I had been a customer less than a month. This is the kind of thing that keeps customers happy.

I've been a customer for 4 years and have a 510. I sent an email to the ceo address and requested that they activate a 522 if I purchased one. After a few emails they agreed and I have had it working for a few weeks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)