Upgrading my Dish Svc for an HD DVR

tangential

Original poster
Dec 8, 2004
Atlanta Area
I'm just looking for some info so I'll understand what I am getting into.

I currently have several Dish receivers. 2 are NonHD DVR's (511 and 721) and 1 is an 811 HD Rec. I own the 811 and the 721 units. I have 2 dishes. One is a 500 pointed at 110 and 119 and the other was added when I added the Voom channels (It always seemed odd that they couldn't use my Voom dish..)

I called Dish last week about adding an HD DVR. They told me that the DVR would require a installation visit because the new HD services are in MPEG4 and I would need a new dish.

They also told me it was going to cost about $25 a month more and they weren't sure if I'd be able to continue to use my 811 and they wanted a 24 mo contract.

Before I go down this road, I'd like to understand what impact this is going to have on my service and equipment.

I understand the advantages of MPEG4, but if I can't continue to use my 811 and 721, then I think I'll wait a bit longer before making the switch.

Also, it seems to me that anytime I'm asked to sign another 24 mo. contract, especially since I've been a subscriber since 2000, it is time to look at all my options.

Thanks
john

The price is probably in the ball park, but you CAN use your old receivers, they just can't see the new HD channels.

The old Voom satellite is 61.5. It is a HD mirror of 129 - your satellites are OK. Don't let them put up a dish 1000, your signal will be weaker on ALL sats.

I have not heard of a 24 month extension, all previous offers have had an 18 month committment.

Jim5506 said:
The price is probably in the ball park, but you CAN use your old receivers, they just can't see the new HD channels.

The old Voom satellite is 61.5. It is a HD mirror of 129 - your satellites are OK. Don't let them put up a dish 1000, your signal will be weaker on ALL sats.

I have not heard of a 24 month extension, all previous offers have had an 18 month committment.
I still have my old VOOM dish up as it was never taken down when they went under. I tried upgrade to the Dish Silver and was told that a tree is blocking 129, though the first tech told me that i didn't have anything to worry about and that he would just put in a second dish, mount it to where my old dish is, and everything should work. The second guy came out(at 9PM mind you), said he didn't know anything about the second dish, and tried for 45 minutes(with me holding a flashlight and my electric latern), to pick up 129. Then he said I could get a pole in my yard, but he said it would have to be in the middle or by the sidewalk. So basically, it would be in the way. If it were in the corner i would be ok with it, but not in the way with a cord dangling.

So, is there any way for me to get the HD silver package?

Also, the second tech said that I could only get my HD upgrade if I could pick up 129.

I am not sure if the 61.5 VOOM setup would work or not. But my old Voom Dish was clear of trees and worked fine.

61.5 is a mirror of 129. Go with it. Your tech is ignorant.

I get all my HD from 61.5 here in Texas. My Dish 1000 is only picking up 110 and 119, 129 is disconnected.

If you aim a dish 500 at 110/119 and a dish 300 or 500 at 61.5 you get it all.

Plus 61.5 has the famous Dish Demo channel!!!

I'm not sure where the HD Atlanta locals are, but I believe they are on 110.

Jim5506 said:

OK. I am wondering what you mean when you say that I could use my old recievers, but they just can't see the new HD channels.

What exactly does this mean? Will I still be able to get al the HD channels offered with the Dish Silver package that i am trying to upgrade too?

Again, the 1st tech told me that they would simply replace my old VOOM dish with a new one in it's place, aim it in the same direction, and everything should work OK.

I am guessing nw that 65.1 is the old VOOM satellite right? So, will it still allow me to pick up the HD channels offered in Dish Silver?

I am fine with having two dishes up as I still have the old VOOM up and it's obviously not being used. But I got lucky and I am using the off-air attenna to get the local channels in HD, so locals in not an issue.

I am in Chicago, IL.

------------------------------------------

OK. Quick edit. By old recievers you don't mean aimimg the new dish in the same direction as the old VOOM one do you... You mean the old box right? LOL

Last edited:
Only the ViP series (211, 222, 411, 622) can get the newer HD stuff. The old ones only get what was in the "old" HD pack.

DishStore Special & Powerbuy!

Change the preview while still in the guide

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)