upgrading soon to HD

ronfelder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
south jersey
Been a E* customer for just shory\t of ten years now. Planning on going HD with in the next three months or so.

I have a Dish 500 with Dish Plus Pro pointing at 110 and 119 degrees. Also have a Dish 300 pointing at 61.5 degrees. I live in South Jersey. Will I need to get a change made to my installation to receive the HD?

Secondly which receiver should I get? I only know that I want an HD DVR that feeds two tv's. I do know and am ok with TV2 being in SD. Should I be getting the DuoDVR VIP 722 or there other recommendations out there? Also take any tips on which HD package to get. Currently with the Classic Gold 250 package. If i understand correctly it costs only $10 to upgrade to HD from any SD package you already sub to. Am I correct with this assumption?

Last edited:
I have HD and am aimed at 110, 119 & 61.5 also. No problem there.

Sound's like you'll want a ViP722 or a ViP722K. The latter, with an optional module, can receive two OTA signals; the former receives one, built in (no module needed). The K version is a bit more advanced and is more likely to see some of the features of the upcoming ViP922 migrate to it.

Gold. They might give you 3 months free on HBO/Showtime.

I have HD and am aimed at 110, 119 & 61.5 also. No problem there.

Sound's like you'll want a ViP722 or a ViP722K. The latter, with an optional module, can receive two OTA signals; the former receives one, built in (no module needed). The K version is a bit more advanced and is more likely to see some of the features of the upcoming ViP922 migrate to it.

Gold. They might give you 3 months free on HBO/Showtime.

Thanks. What will the 922 have? Is that the one with the built in SlingBox? If so will it have anything else besides Sling?

If 3 months

If you are waiting 3 months then you will have choice between the 722k or 922. The 722k has been out nearing a year now and most of bugs have been worked out. The 922 is still in beta right and still has some problems. That's why it is still in beta instead of being released before X-mas like they wanted to do. So keep reading here over the next months and it will help you decide (was that a blatant plug or not and Scott isn't even paying me for it). :D Yes the 922 has the sling built in.

And it has a new user interface.

I really wouldn't wait for the ViP922. You can always upgrade a year or 2 later, if it works out well.

You can Dish-it-Up once a year, so the 922 should be just ripe about this time next year, almost perfect timing - get the 722k now, you will not be sorry!

If you want better deal then go to cancellation department and they will give you new customer deal. You will get $15 off for 12 months and HBO and Showtime free for 3 months. My friend tried to upgrade and they were giving him 622 HD DVR then he talked to cancellation dept they gave him VIP 722K receiver with $15 off 12 months and HBO and Showtime free for 3 months. You don't even need to add HD programming at this time. you can add HD programming in future anytime you want. Of course you will need to sign 2 years service agreement. Good Luck ;)

Your friend did not get anything except the 15 for 12 deal the rest is a gimme to all customers. The HBO and Showtime everybody gets. And not many techs if any carry 622 anymore so he would have gotten a 722 anyway. So no need to BS the loyalty dept to try and get upgrades most CSR will give them to you if you ask for them any way. Just say hey my friend got this deal can I get it and 99% of the time you will get it

If you are waiting 3 months then you will have choice between the 722k or 922. The 722k has been out nearing a year now and most of bugs have been worked out. The 922 is still in beta right and still has some problems. That's why it is still in beta instead of being released before X-mas like they wanted to do. So keep reading here over the next months and it will help you decide (was that a blatant plug or not and Scott isn't even paying me for it). :D Yes the 922 has the sling built in.

How much will it cost me to upgrade to any of the above receivers?

DISH'N IT UP

How much will it cost me to upgrade to any of the above receivers?

I think that DISH'N IT UP promo is 75 but not for sure. Go on line to your account and look under offers. It should give you some type of idea what the offers are available to you. I got mine free due to having a 622 in which the HDMI broke off and they did the upgrade for free. An OTA module will cost you a 1 time fee of $40 and to me it's is worth it since it allows me to record 4 things at one time. The 922 isn't out yet.

I think that DISH'N IT UP promo is 75 but not for sure. Go on line to your account and look under offers. It should give you some type of idea what the offers are available to you. I got mine free due to having a 622 in which the HDMI broke off and they did the upgrade for free. An OTA module will cost you a 1 time fee of $40 and to me it's is worth it since it allows me to record 4 things at one time. The 922 isn't out yet.

My account says

High Definition DuoDVR Receiver
$50 Shipped
$100 Installed

or

Enhanced High Definition DuoDVR Receiver
$75 Shipped
$125 Installed

What is the differenc in the recxeivers? What's the enhancement? I know I want HD dvr and to be able to view it from two tv's. I do know the second set is in SD. Might I be able to order the receiver now even though I won't be getting the set until about February? I'd just not sub to the HD. That allowed?

thanks for the help all.

Ron

2 units

My account says

High Definition DuoDVR Receiver
$50 Shipped
$100 Installed

or

Enhanced High Definition DuoDVR Receiver
$75 Shipped
$125 Installed

What is the differenc in the recxeivers? What's the enhancement? I know I want HD dvr and to be able to view it from two tv's. I do know the second set is in SD. Might I be able to order the receiver now even though I won't be getting the set until about February? I'd just not sub to the HD. That allowed?

thanks for the help all.

Ron

I would say the 1st is a 722 & the 2nd is 722k. Since you are upgrading from SD to HD they will need to do install. They will need to change out your dish. Unless you are very familiar with multi-beam (LNB's) dishes you will be better off going with the installed version. Trying to save the $25 could wind up costing you a more expensive service call to fix the problems. Also you will need to find out if the 2nd price includes the OTA module. If you use OTA you want it so you can record 4 at one time (2 sat & 2 OTA). As far as doing it now or waiting it's up to you. You can watch higher quality SD if you sub to HD even with an SD TV. Hope this helps.

I would say the 1st is a 722 & the 2nd is 722k. Since you are upgrading from SD to HD they will need to do install. They will need to change out your dish. Unless you are very familiar with multi-beam (LNB's) dishes you will be better off going with the installed version. Trying to save the $25 could wind up costing you a more expensive service call to fix the problems. Also you will need to find out if the 2nd price includes the OTA module. If you use OTA you want it so you can record 4 at one time (2 sat & 2 OTA). As far as doing it now or waiting it's up to you. You can watch higher quality SD if you sub to HD even with an SD TV. Hope this helps.

I have a Dish 500 with Dish Plus Pro pointing at 110 and 119 degrees. Also have a Dish 300 pointing at 61.5 degrees. I live in the Philly DMA. Someone previously said that what I had was enough to get HD and I only need upgrade the receiver and programming.
Ron

With separator

I have a Dish 500 with Dish Plus Pro pointing at 110 and 119 degrees. Also have a Dish 300 pointing at 61.5 degrees. I live in the Philly DMA. Someone previously said that what I had was enough to get HD and I only need upgrade the receiver and programming.
Ron

As long as you have a separator to split the sat tuners. Thinks that's about all I can help with. The rest is your decision. Good Luck w/it.

Spoke to a CSR this morning and was told since i've been with them for ten years i'm getting my 722k for free. Will decide latter if I want to get the additional OTA module. Even though i'll have the 722k before the tv i've decided to sub to the HD programming. since the box isn't here for another five days or so if I decide to wait for the HD programming i'll let them know. They told me I can add the HD programming anytime I wish. I naturally have a two year commitment. No problem there for me.

thanks for the help.

ron

Last edited:
order mixup

Well though the Dish CSR knew I wanted a 722k I observed on dish's website that they were sending me a 622. So after speaking to them moments ago i'm to refuse the 622 and send it back by UPS. Then i'm to call Dish and let them know it's on the way back and they'll redo the order with the proper receiver. Not to frustrated but still a slight inconvenience.

Ron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts