Upgrading to HD - Questions About VIP 722k

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
Here's my current setup: I have a DVR 625 hooked to 2 TVs plus a 311 Solo receiver -- I also have a rooftop antenna (to get adjacent market channels) and I would run this through the new HD receivers and discard my current DTV converter boxes. I've read an online users manual for the 722k, and its TV connections seem much more complicated than that of my present DVR 625. I currently have a standard def TV set in the living room as my TV1 for the 625 and the TV2 is a 13" HD set in the bedroom. I plan on buying a new HD set for the living room in the next month or so, but is it premature for me to do a DISH upgrade prior to buying the new TV? My current living room (standard def) TV ONLY has an RF input - it has NO composite connections. So, will the 722k even connect to this TV? I've also read posts about the 722k running hot -- does it run hotter than a 625? It is also my understanding that when DISH upgrades a customer to HD, all receivers must be upgraded -- is this correct? I don't plan on replacing the standard def set hooked to the 311 anytime soon. However, DISH has told me they would also replace the 311. Sorry, for all the questions but this is my FIRST experience with upgrading to HD. Thank you for your input.

Eric

... I currently have a standard def TV set in the living room as my TV1 for the 625 and the TV2 is a 13" HD set in the bedroom. I plan on buying a new HD set for the living room in the next month or so, but is it premature for me to do a DISH upgrade prior to buying the new TV? My current living room (standard def) TV ONLY has an RF input - it has NO composite connections. So, will the 722k even connect to this TV? ...
Eric,

Yes, you can connect the coax output to TV2 also to TV1 using a simple splitter and a short piece of coax cable. Your TV1 signal will be on one channel and your TV2 signal will be on a different channel.

I can't help on what Dish will do on your currently SD receiver.

And the 722K is a great receiver. Try to get an OTA module at the same time you buy it and hook up an antenna to it... That will give you two additional OTA tuners. They come in handy during the fall :)

I don't "think" the 625 or any SD receiver will get most of the OTA channels, now that they are ATSC. For that, you need an HD receiver. For now, make sure your choice has an RF output, 1 or 2 tuners, for the NTSC TV. (Which don't?) You can feed any number of coax TVs, all on same channels.
-Ken

I don't "think" the 625 or any SD receiver will get most of the OTA channels, now that they are ATSC. For that, you need an HD receiver. For now, make sure your choice has an RF output, 1 or 2 tuners, for the NTSC TV. (Which don't?) You can feed any number of coax TVs, all on same channels.
-Ken
He's talking about getting a 722k receiver for temporary use with an HD and an SD set.

The only reason I can think of Dish wanting to replace you 311 receiver along with your 625 is they are switching you to Eastern Arc. ALL receivers on EA have to be Mpeg4 compatable. If you currently have 110, 119 and 129, they should be able to use the current set-up for your upgrade, unless your HD locals are on EA, then they will want to swap your dish as well and do a whole home upgrade. They will replace your 311 with a 211 (K). It is basically the same as a 311, just HD. Same fee each month, so if you can get it included, do it, it'll work with SD or HD.
My 722K does not run hot, although it is in an open space.