upgrading to new receivers

wyodan59

Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
rocky mountains
My equipment is old. I have a dp301 on my new tv and a 2800 on my old tv. I am paying two leases at 10.00. If I upgrade to a vip612 for two tvs. Is this a better way to go and just pay the one lease. or can this even be done? Do the remotes work very well?

Another question I have is. Why does the phone line need to be hooked to the receiver at all times? I have been a subscriber for 8 years now and have never hooked the phone line up. I don't seem to be noticing any effect.

The 612 can be hooked up to two tv's but it is a single output receiver meaning all tv's hooked up to it will see the same channel. If you want different channels you would need a different tv. Also note that the 612 is an HD receiver and there is an HD enabling fee if you don't subscribe to an HD package. If you want HD but different channels on your two set, you would want a 622 or a 722. If no HD then you want a 522 or a 625. HD receivers have a lease fee of $7 and that may change in Feb, the 612 does not have an additional tuner fee (I believe this is what you are referring to) since the one tv output, single tuner receivers do not have to connected to a phone line as there cannot be a charge for the second tuner as these receivers do not have them. The 622, 722 522 and 625 all have independent outputs and would be charged the additional tuner fee if not hooked to the phone line, the 622 and 722 can also be connected to a dsl line to avoid the additional tuner fee. Also, if you only have two receivers you should only be being charged for one leased receiver. you should contact Dish about the primary receiver being charged.

Thanks for the info. The way I read it. only one of the tvs need to be wired with a cable. the other will run on the remote to the other tv. Is this correct? or do both tvs need to be hooked to the receiver? Ie 622 722 ect. I do have the cable to both tvs from the dish. not quite sure how the second tv will work.