Uplink Activity Report - 6/25/2008 12:38pm - 76 changes

You didn't listen to the podcast did you? ;) Just because there is room doesn't mean they have the video and encoders wired up to fill those 20 spots.

yes i did hear the podcast and i totally forgot that part digi. sorry.

The hold up is that Dish Network has not come to an agreement with the providers of the remaining National HD channels, at a low enough price to keep the cost of the "HD Only" package close to its current price.

I said from the beginning the HD Only package was going to muck things up. The cost of adding HD simulcast feeds to the HD Essentials and HD ultimate package is negligible. In some cases, the cost could be zero. But every channel added to HD Only drives the cost up- a large amount in some cases.

However, I don't really believe this is the case...yet. I'm sure that a LOT of padding was built into that package, and that was before they dumped Voom which frees up an extra $4 a month. They knew there was a ton of HD coming when they designed that package. They have people overpaying now, rather than jack up the price dramatically later.

Even if it was true, it wouldn't stop them from adding premium channels, which aren't restricted by the HD Only pricing, and are offered free to subscribers in most cases. Adding the Starz HD channels cost them nothing but bandwidth, and may potentially encourage more people to subscribe. It's win/win/win.

So you're right, but there are many more factors you're ignoring.

Even if it was true, it wouldn't stop them from adding premium channels, which aren't restricted by the HD Only pricing, and are offered free to subscribers in most cases. Adding the Starz HD channels cost them nothing but bandwidth, and may potentially encourage more people to subscribe. It's win/win/win.

So you're right, but there are many more factors you're ignoring.

It would be logical to assume that premium channels are not charging extra for the HD channels - but we don't know that for sure.

There could be more factors you're ignoring. ;)

Some premium channels may require that the whole SD & HD package be renegotiated, in order for a provider to add the HD channels.

Also, the other factor that I admittedly forgot to mention is uplinks. Dish could a) have the bandwidth, and b) have the contract, but not have the uplink connection finished.

I think we saw some of that last factor, when Dish added the "22 new HD channels" all at once - but the Cinemax West HD and 5 Star Max HD uplinks were clearly not quite finished when they were added.

Adding a totally new channel to the system takes much more than just flipping a switch.

BTW - all the HBO channels will be MPEG4-HD any day now, and Dish prioritizes channels by subscription levels, so it is likely that they are working on HBO uplinks in preference to the other premiums (but that is just my educated guess).

I said from the beginning the HD Only package was going to muck things up.....
As an dishHD (AKA HD Only and/or dishHD Absolute) packge subscriber since its inception, I beg to differ.

IMHO this package is the best thing that Dish has done all year. This package is a market differentiator for Dish now that it has lost its leadership in both numbers and quality of HD channels offered. It is the ONLY reason I didn't switch to D* months ago when my initial 18mo contract expired and Dish still didn't have our HD locals.

The funny thing is how often I read comments using this package as a scape goat: that is a loss leader and/or somehow is the reason Dish hasn't added more HD yet. AFAIK all such comments are pure SPECULATION even when proffered in a way that makes them sound factual.

So once again....
If anyone has actual documentation that the dishHD package is a loss leader and/or is responsible for delays in HD channel additions -- PLEASE POST IT!

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
I just contacted Dish about my Grand Rapids, MI locals in HD and after some pushing all they would tell me is they will launch on June 27...have to wait a few more days I guess.

No ABC or CW HD for Memphis? These were uplinked in April. They are owned by the same local company...is this the reason? Do I need to email them directly?

Call tomorrow and it will be in the system.

Still the same answer...but I did contact them through the chat feature on the website so maybe I need to call. Below is the answer I received this morning and twice yesterday:

Effective Friday, June 27, 2008 by 6:00 a.m. ET, DISH Network will launch the ABC, NBC and FOX affiliates in high definition (HD) in your area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)