Uplink Activity Report - 6/25/2008 12:38pm - 76 changes

As an dishHD (AKA HD Only and/or dishHD Absolute) packge subscriber since its inception, I beg to differ.

IMHO this package is the best thing that Dish has done all year. This package is a market differentiator for Dish now that it has lost its leadership in both numbers and quality of HD channels offered. It is the ONLY reason I didn't switch to D* months ago when my initial 18mo contract expired and Dish still didn't have our HD locals.

The funny thing is how often I read comments using this package as a scape goat: that is a loss leader and/or somehow is the reason Dish hasn't added more HD yet. AFAIK all such comments are pure SPECULATION even when proffered in a way that makes them sound factual.

So once again....
If anyone has actual documentation that the dishHD package is a loss leader and/or is responsible for delays in HD channel additions -- PLEASE POST IT!

Talon Dancer

i agree with ya there, only reason I'm with Dish also is cuz of this package

So I called Dish today and the REP still say's Grand Rapids, MI doesn't have HD locals yet, but will in 2008..... Do these REPs still not know they are available yet? or do I need to try again tomorrow?

Thanks

As of about 10am this morning they should be available to order.

---it could be they are holding off until Friday because of ongoing negotiations

See ya
Tony

Thanks for the info... I finally got someone good on the phone at DISH and they said Friday is the day.... GOOD DEAL....

The hold up is that Dish Network has not come to an agreement with the providers of the remaining National HD channels, at a low enough price to keep the cost of the "HD Only" package close to its current price.

There is currently enough bandwidth for all the HD channels that they have contracts for.

Launching of new satellites for more bandwidth is to provide more markets of HD Locals - since that is what drives sales (ask a retailer).

I know that the numbers these large companies deal with is astounding to us mere mortals but how many $5/month subs does it take to pay off a satellite? And then you consider that many of these people are already paying anyway so it's not going to be all profit.

I guess this is why I 'work for the man' because I just can't see myself buying a satellite and recouping it in five dollar whacks!

The $5 whacks are just the icing. The $5 what is what draws subscribers to get a system so they can spend on average $45-60 a month on other programs. So it isn't just the $5. :)

Of course there are expenses, but I work for "the man" too. :)

See ya
Tony

$5 whacks aren't bad when applied to some 14 million customers. At $70 million per month, it would take about 7 months to pay off a $500,000,000 satellite. That's why Dish and DirecTV can afford to keep putting up these $500M satellites. The real problem with losing AMC 14 as I see it is that it put Dish about 6 months behind on their total HD rollout, and thus at a temporary competitive disadvantage with DirecTv.

Regarding adding national programming, Charlie Ergen has been pretty clear: Dish has capacity, but can't get agreements on price. In one of his chats, when asked about adding Speed channel his response was, hey, we'd like to add them, but don't hold your breath: we just can't agree on price, with the implication chances of reaching agreement at any time in the near future were slim to nonexistent. As most of you know, these extended disagreements are frequently because the other side of the discussions is putting on a dog and pony show--they say, you can show my pony if you'll also show my dog. Maybe Speed has a channel called "24 hours looking up a tailpipe" or something similar they want to get on the air.

Regards,
Fitzie

Regarding adding national programming, Charlie Ergen has been pretty clear: Dish has capacity, but can't get agreements on price. In one of his chats, when asked about adding Speed channel his response was, hey, we'd like to add them, but don't hold your breath: we just can't agree on price, with the implication chances of reaching agreement at any time in the near future were slim to nonexistent. As most of you know, these extended disagreements are frequently because the other side of the discussions is putting on a dog and pony show--they say, you can show my pony if you'll also show my dog. Maybe Speed has a channel called "24 hours looking up a tailpipe" or something similar they want to get on the air.

Speed-HD is part of a group of national HD channels owned by one particular company.

So, the additonal channel they might want to bundle might have nothing to do with car racing...

Thanks for the info... I finally got someone good on the phone at DISH and they said Friday is the day.... GOOD DEAL....

Yup called today and set up the install. They couldn't get to me until July 11 though.

Oh well I'll have a second dish and some of my locals in HD "soon".

Speed-HD is part of a group of national HD channels owned by one particular company.

So, the additonal channel they might want to bundle might have nothing to do with car racing...

Regarding kstuart's cited comment, he's absolutely right. As a long-time NASCAR racing fan, I remember when Fox put a series of NASCAR races on FX as a strategic move to get more coverage of FX on cable and satellite. For a while I had to visit my daughter on race day because her cable company carried FX, while mine didn't--just to watch the races.

As Fox said when customers complained, hey, you do what you gotta do. With that said, I also watch some other programming on Speed, including the occasional movie. The original "Gone in 60 seconds" (from 1972-73) was shown on Speed, and was a revelation; I think it was better than the re-make with Nicholas Cage. There's a chase scene in it reminiscent of "Bullitt" with Steve McQueen, which itself is a classic for car/speed fans.

Regards,
Fitzie

Is WWMT Grand Rapids not lit up due to a technical problem or a contract problem? It's the only one I can't get HD on with my rabbit ears, figures!
Hi all,

I just got a reply to my e-mail from WWMT (Grand Rapids) about what the hold up is. Here is the reply I got:

Hello Geoff--
Thank you for your email.
We are in presently in negotiations with Dish network to carry our channels, and look forward to an agreement in the near future.
Sincerely,
Susan Abraham, Program Coordinator
NEWSCHANNEL 3/CW7

Looks like the problem is contractual,
Geoff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts