Upside down dish mounting

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

saidias

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
I have seen several website talking about mounting your dish upside down.... Has anyone here seen the same thing? Has anyone done it?

What is the purpose?

MD

Attachments

• Dish_w4wsr_Inverted_mount_PrimeStar.jpg
    Dish_w4wsr_Inverted_mount_PrimeStar.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,017
thats something i have been contemplating doing....

I read about it in a book. The book basically said it gave the dish a lower profile........so that it wouldnt be so asethically problematic.

But I was going to try it because it seems like it could might give me a different angle at some satellites i am having difficulty getting.

Remember using an inverted dish will not change the angle of the signal coming down from a satellite. If the angle to the satellite is 38 deg. with a regular dish its still coming down at 38 deg. when using an upside down dish!

Attachments

• upside down dish.jpg
    upside down dish.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 309
Looking back at the picture I supplied earlier, does it appear that he made custom LNB mount? It appears i can be adjusted (angle) to the dish.....plus, it mounts further away from the dish. It looks like a C Band LNB. Is this something we should try??

saidias said:
Looking back at the picture I supplied earlier, does it appear that he made custom LNB mount? It appears i can be adjusted (angle) to the dish.....plus, it mounts further away from the dish. It looks like a C Band LNB. Is this something we should try??

That dish doesn't appear to be configured for reception of satellite signals. Note the helical antenna feed. That dish is obviously being used either for amatuer radio or wifi. That explains both the helical feed and the reason it's mounted upside down as it's likely aimed at another dish somehwere at ground level or very close to ground level.

As for mounting a satellite dish this way, there's really not much advantage and at least a couple of disadvantages. One disadvantage is the one already mentioned of the dish collecting rain and snow. However, there is one other disadvantage I can think of right off hand and that is that the feed will be pointing at the ground. With the feed pointing at the ground in this way, it will be more likely to pick up noise from the warm earth underneath that may spill around the edges of the dish. This may be especially true if the feedhorn and/or scaler ring aren't exactly optimised for the F/D ratio of the dish. So, this probably isn't something that's really going to be worth trying for a dish intended to recieve satellite signals.

so how would that work with a 2/3inb pattern...thinking 110/119 or D* phase 3 dish...still work? change your tilt/skew by 180`?

"So, this probably isn't something that's really going to be worth trying for a dish intended to recieve satellite signals."

Just dont tell the US Armed forces that.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"so how would that work with a 2/3inb pattern...thinking 110/119 or D* phase 3 dish...still work? change your tilt/skew by 180`?"

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=208914#post208914

Tried that, did not work too well (at all)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=208914#post208914

We have a terrestrial microwave link at work we use for live shows. The receiver is nothing more than a standard 18" off set dish just like Dish's and DirecTV's.

There were two places where the tech had all sorts of issues getting signal from the transmitter. Both were because the transmitter was below the receiving dish. Well the tech (generally a smart guy) kept pointing the dish directly at the transmitter without taking into account the off-set. When I suggested he mount the dish on the pole up-side-down to get the signal, he thought I was looney-toons! It took me, three pages on the internet and a hand drawn diagram from me for this generally intelligent, articulate technitian to even think about doint this. Still, it took until I personally mounted the dish "up-side-down" on the pole and aimed it myself for him to realize how much stronger the signal came in! :) He still doesn't understand the whole "off-set" idea. But the dish is always mounted up-side-down now.

See ya
Tony

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)