"UrgentAction" 721 Swap: Beware Lease Fee

blackarrow

Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
I was told by the upgrade center (Bethany, 9-11) there would be No lease OR dvr fee for the replacement of my owned (not leased 721. My 625 was installed 9-13.

A lease fee was immediately applied to my bill. I called 9-16 and Angel said there was nothing she could do. She finally agreed to waive the lease fee one year only.

9-16 I emailed ceo at echostar.com.

9-18 I called the upgrade center and talked to Leenda, who I had extreme difficulty understanding. She claimed to have taken care of everything.

9-19 The charge was still on my bill when Nickki from ceo executive office called me and said the lease waiver was for one year only and it was impossible (her words) to extend the waiver beyond that.

I'm at my wit's end. Anyone else having trouble with this? Any suggestions on how to rectify?

Call your Attorney Generals office.

They replaced your owned equipment with their equipment because they made changes to their service. It is not your fault they changes something on their end which would require a new receiver.

Thus there should be no additional charges (or commitment) for your account because Dish made the change, not you.

Call your Attorney Generals office.

They replaced your owned equipment with their equipment because they made changes to their service. It is not your fault they changes something on their end which would require a new receiver.

Thus there should be no additional charges (or commitment) for your account because Dish made the change, not you.
Are there really additional charges? After all, the lease fee is just replacing the additional outlet fee.

sorry, but you should read the argeements and contracts you signed when you got the new reciever, you agreed to this fee, therefore its your fault you got charged, if you didnt want the charge then you should have paid for the reciever

Regardless Scott hit the nail on the head...

There is currently a promotion for discontinued receivers...721, 921, 6000 etc. as long as the agent replaces your discontinued receiver using the proper promotion, there will be neither a lease fee or a dvr fee. you didn't have them with the old receiver and should not have them with the replacement. my 721 was recently replaced with a 522 and there are no fees on my bill. However, I did tell the csr that i wanted it replaced under that specific promotion. She had to look a few things up to do it correctly, but she did in the end get it right on one call.

sorry, but you should read the argeements and contracts you signed when you got the new reciever, you agreed to this fee, therefore its your fault you got charged, if you didnt want the charge then you should have paid for the reciever

It is NOT his fault, he was PROMISED no fees to be charged and he was charged the fee and there is NOTHING to be required to be signed, no agreements and no contracts regarding this. The 721 was paid for to begin with so why should he have to buy another one? I was told that I would have to buy a 522 if I wanted to own it and that they were doing it to upgrade to MPEG-4. They will not return my emails or phone calls now regarding the email the guy was supposed to send me regarding the promise to never be charged the DVR or additional outlet fees.

Dish Network customer service is sucking more and more each day.

When I traided in my owned 811 on a new 211,l the CSR said I would never have to pay a lease fee. Now I see that when my bill isissued, they charge me $7 and then credit me $7. This seems to me that they are leaving themselves open to adding the fee at a later date without the credit. THe CSR state that this is a forever credit, but insists that their billing system must add and credit it every month. Any one else getting this monthly credit forever.

They promise the world over the phone but nothing in writing on email. This is their way of the customer having no proof that they were told that there would be no DVR or Additional Outlet fees.

This is why Charlie makes the Forbes List as one of the richest men, by ripping off their customers and retailers. Part of that money was made dishonestly.

sorry, but you should read the argeements and contracts you signed when you got the new reciever
Is this reasonable (or even possible)?

I remember recently when I was in the checkout line with a very large purchase. The cashier asked me if I wanted to save 10% by signing up for the company's charge card. On this one, rare occasion, since I had such a large purchase and the savings would be substantial, so I said "Yes". They handed me five pages of forms--most of which in fine print. Was I supposed to read all of this and hold up everyone else behind me waiting in line before I signed?

Also, these contracts tend to say something like, "the customer agrees to all of the terms of" such and such agreement that is perhaps on a web site but most likely isn't even viewable by the customer. If I were to ask the installer to show me all the terms and conditions of what I am signing, he would probably think I'm just being an ass.

I will learn more this weekend when my receiver is upgraded. Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised and asked to sign nothing. Who knows. I just know it is personally frustrating when companies insist I sign something when the situation doesn't lend itself to reading all of the details.

Is this reasonable (or even possible)?

NO! This character does not get it, and even serves up an unnecessary snippy response to a very reasonable post describing a legitimate problem. Too bad people choose to make such comments, but it is entertaining to say the least.

Nothing to add to the situation, but in regards to signing a contract or agreement if you haven't read it, you should always, always write near where you sign your name that the contract/agreement was received, but not read; or not given, etc. This way it gives you a leg to stand on just in case you ever have to go to court, etc. It really doesn't matter for something like satellite tv, but I often am asked to sign medical paper work that indicates I have read and understood information that I either was not given, or didn't have time to read. I've gotten into it pretty good a couple of times with the receptionist, as they always tell me that I cannot modify their contract/agreement. I always tell them the same thing. As a signer of the contract/agreement you always have the right to note your objections to items, the other party does not have to agree to them. If they refuse and tell you that you cannot mark it period, I usually start to leave. That changes there tune. There is no such thing as a contract/agreement that cannot be modified!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)