USB drive locks up 622

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Well last night I went to watch TV and one of my 622s was unresponsive. After doing resets, unplugging, etc it would not show a picture. I called Dish and went through the diagnostic steps with them too. Well we decided it was broken and they were sending out a replacement. The unit would power own, you could hear the fan in high mode, no doubt it was getting power. The TV1 light would come on for a bit then go off. There would be flashes on the TV. I tried both component and HDMI outputs, both never got more than a few flashes (like they were syncing to a signal when it was booting up). No Dish logo that usually shows up when you power cycle them.

Sadly (since I have a bunch of timers that cannot be transferred), I brought another 622 in from another room and started to transfer cables from one to the other. The first one I unplugged from the "broken" 622 was the USB drive in the front panel. As soon as I unplugged that drive the 622 sprung to life! I waited until it booted up, did a switch test all looked good, had it download the guide, tested out the DVR function on the shows I had recorded, changed channels, etc. all worked great.

I power cycled the USB drive and it works too. I plugged it back in and there is no problem now the USB drive and 622 are working great.

I do not know what the issue was, everything seems to work fine now. It is just interesting that an USB drive can lock up the 622 without anything showing up on screen giving an error. Looks like unplugging the USB drive should be a part of Dish diagnostic steps.

that is pretty interesting! was it a powered drive? static buildup?- when you unplugged it the static dispersed perhaps....

that is pretty interesting! was it a powered drive? static buildup?- when you unplugged it the static dispersed perhaps....

It has an AC transformer, it is not powered by USB. I assume that the drive's USB controller got in a weird state or something and locked up the USB port on the 622. The 622 did not have the code/ability to get around this and put an error message up on the screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts