USB Hard Drive, Linksys NSLU2, and Home network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Last week I picked up a Linksys NSLU2 Network Storage Link, which alows you to connect two USB hard drives to a lan through the device, which is actually a REALLY small linux box.

I connected two USB drives to it; one is an old IDE drive in a external case; the other is a brand new WD 320 GB "My Book." The WD is what I intend to use - and probably setup a FTP server so I can connect to my data from work.

Here is the issue. The WD is supposed to shut itself down when it is not in use; by going into standby. This helps reduce heat, and prolongs the life of the drive. Yestersday I connected it - and it works great, BUT it never goes into standby, and by the end of the day, the drive is pretty darn hot.

I know I could connect the drive directly to one of my PCs, and it probably would go into standby. I suspect the Linksys linux box is constantly feeding it info, so it thinks it is active. BUT I don't want to have my machine on during the day when I am at work - just my HD and linksys box.

Anyone have any familiarity with this Linksys device, and this sort of issue?

I like the WD drive, but would consider exchanging it if there was a better option. Although I have high hopes for it to be eventually connected to a E* vip622.

And I can still return the Linksys storage link if it proves to be un-useful. But I hope I don't have to.

Also - do people have heat issues with ethernet-connected external HDs? I am interested in feedback.

Best,

- MG

The linksys won't let a drive sleep. I use Seagate externals drives that have fans inside them.

I also run uNSLUng firmware on my slug, it acts as my intranet server and runs twonkyvision for my uPNP devices. (Mine has also been de-underclocked and runs at 266mhz now :) )

If you want to get rid of the little gem, I'll take it off your hands if they won't exchange it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)