Use a Samsung SIR-T451 as HD Backup during Rain Fade

R-U-Q-R-U

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
Central Florida
During the summer we get lots of heavy thunderstoms in FL that cause rain fade. Even with good numbers on TP 11 and 12 (115-123) I had a half hour rain fade outage last Friday night. Anytime there is deep cloud cover with these storms we loose signal for a while.

I was wondering if anyone uses an HDTV STB like the Samsung SIR-T451
( http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=SIR-T451%2fXAA ) for HD backup?

These boxes are selling on eBay for about $155 plus $20 shipping. With a good UHF antenna I have read these are better OTA receivers than the 811.

Is this worth the money? Anyone have one for this purpose?

Well, I have a Samsung SIR-T351 (one model earlier than the 451) and that is all I have for HD (I still use my 721 receiver for Dish, which doesn't have HD). It works great IF you have good OTA signals available in your area and have a good antenna. It took some time to get my antennas right, but once they were the signal is awesome. I love the T351 and tried a couple other HDTV boxes, but had signal issues. The T451 is supposed to be an improvement, but it wasn't available when I picked up the T351.

R-U-Q-R-U said:
Can you split the RG-6 from an OTA antenna with a regular cable splitter?
Yes, I would also suggest that you search on Ebay or your local classifieds for a VOOM (Motorola DSR 550) receiver. A lot of them have been coming from Florida. Auction prices with shipping have been below $100. The one I bought last week ran about $35 without remote and was cheap but it came from Florida, the service seems to have been popular there. I have 6 HD receivers connected to one OTA,1 DISH 6000,2 Directv receivers, 2 VOOM receiver and 1 Samsung 451. No complaints on the 451 so far but it does seem to run hot which will usually result in a short usage life 2-3 years. :)

boba said:
Yes, I would also suggest that you search on Ebay or your local classifieds for a VOOM (Motorola DSR 550) receiver. A lot of them have been coming from Florida. Auction prices with shipping have been below $100. The one I bought last week ran about $35 without remote and was cheap but it came from Florida, the service seems to have been popular there.

Do I understand you correctly...I could use an old VOOM receiver as an HD OTA tuner? If so, below $100 would be quite a bargain compared to regular OTA tuners.

Yes they work quite well for the price, just understand their is no warranty or service.
Be sure it was previously activated, New In Bo:mad:NIB) is a boat anchor and they have sold for high prices. There is a VOOM forum here read it. :)

boba said:
Yes they work quite well for the price, just understand their is no warranty or service.
Be sure it was previously activated, New In Bo:mad:NIB) is a boat anchor and they have sold for high prices. There is a VOOM forum here read it. :)

Thank you for your response. Since I never had VOOM, I didn't bother reading the VOOM forum. But you are right...there are some very informative posts regarding this issue. :)

boba said:
Yes, I would also suggest that you search on Ebay or your local classifieds for a VOOM (Motorola DSR 550) receiver. A lot of them have been coming from Florida. Auction prices with shipping have been below $100. The one I bought last week ran about $35 without remote and was cheap but it came from Florida, the service seems to have been popular there. I have 6 HD receivers connected to one OTA,1 DISH 6000,2 Directv receivers, 2 VOOM receiver and 1 Samsung 451. No complaints on the 451 so far but it does seem to run hot which will usually result in a short usage life 2-3 years. :)

Cool...thanks for the great information. You have alot of HD TV's!;)

R-U-Q-R-U said:
Cool...thanks for the great information. You have alot of HD TV's!;)
No I have a lot of SD TVs that I watch Digital channels on only have two HDTVs, they have Directv receivers connected to them. :)

Well, I got the SIR-T451 and added a Winegard SS-2000 Square Shooter with pre-amp to the mix and now get ALL my local OTA's on my 811 with a minimum signal of 88. The strongest comes in at 96.:)

Before the SS-2000 I could not get NBC HD OTA. It is the only local that broadcasts VHF. Now it comes in with 88 signal strength.

Even if you don't bother with a separate receiver the SS-2000 makes the 811 OTA tuner work well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)