Use diplexers to share two receiver signals?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

village idiot

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
If I have receiver A connected to TV A and receiver B Connected to TV B, can I use diplexers to somehow also send the output of receiver A to TV B and vice-versa. Diplexer is a relatively new concept to me, but I understand how it works to just send a signal back to another tv. But somehow doing what I described makes my head hurt trying to figure it out...

Which receivers? For a box with TV1 & TV2, you can select a channel and "backfeed" to the other TV. Not to the other sat box, though.

If I have receiver A connected to TV A and receiver B Connected to TV B, can I use diplexers to somehow also send the output of receiver A to TV B and vice-versa. Diplexer is a relatively new concept to me, but I understand how it works to just send a signal back to another tv. But somehow doing what I described makes my head hurt trying to figure it out...

I am curious; Is there any logic to what you're trying to do? Why not just change channels on the respective receivers?

I am curious; Is there any logic to what you're trying to do? Why not just change channels on the respective receivers?

One of them has a DVR and I'd like to be able to watch recordings from it in the other room sometimes. Plus we have dvd-recorder on it and my wife has been recording a lot of shows on that, so it would be convenient to just use the other tuner while the main one was driving the dvd-recorder. Plus ideally, I'd like to take the combined signals and send all to a third tv.

The whole actual setup is more complicated that I laid out - I was trying to boil it down to the primary question to not get lost in the details.

I know I can certainly achieve what I want with more/dual receivers, etc. But just trying to figure out if I could use the ones I have. I may just buy some splitters/combiners and just run a coax through the house to see what works...

You don't need to diplex man - you need to take a splitter and reverse it. In other words, take your tv2's outputs those go in the out. The in would go to the tv you want to see it on.

Now you need to change tv2 modulation so they are not on the same channel - you know one on channel 73 and one on 75. Experiment with channel combinations till both channels come in clear (air vs cable).

That's the cheap way to get this done - a pricer way would be to go with what's called a "super home node".

Thanks Ftoutloff, that almost gets me there. The "super home node" helped too - doing a google on it I found How Do I...Connect Multiple DSS Receivers - HomeTech - HomeTech Solutions. The "Two DSS Receivers, Each Modulated For Other TVs" section at that site pretty much describes what I'm trying to do. They've got 2 runs per tv. One for the satellite signal and downstream RF (using diplexer) and one to send the RF output back out to the "head end" to be combined with the other reciever and sent down to all the tv's. It's all a big circle, no wonder it made my head hurt. So I'm guessing that's what I'd have to do.

Take a look at this;
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-technical-discussions/164968-stacking-diplexers-update.html
May give you some ideas what can be done.

Diplexers are for combining SAT and UHF/VHF signals to go thru one coax.
Then another Diplexer at the other end to split them back out.

Splitters are for combining two or more different UHF/VHF signals to go thru one coax or splitting UHF/VHF signals.

Thanks fchall! That's exactly what I needed! I tried just temporarily running a coax through the house to test it out and it works as expected. I may just run the separate coax as the permanent solution since the signal is already slightly degraded. I'm guessing the diplexers would just make it worse.

Thanks fchall! That's exactly what I needed! I tried just temporarily running a coax through the house to test it out and it works as expected. I may just run the separate coax as the permanent solution since the signal is already slightly degraded. I'm guessing the diplexers would just make it worse.
Yes it is always better to have a separate coax if feasible.
Goofed on initial construction and only had one coax to the bedroom.
Someday I will snake another through that wall.

i do this same thing in my homw with splitters, running back through the diplexers, so i can watch either channel 3 or 60 on both tvs.
i do this so while im downstaits late at night i can put my tv1 on channel 60 to see if my kids are watching anything naughty upstairs...
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts