Uses for ethernet and USB ports on ViP622?

systemloc

systemloc

Mar 30, 2007
North Fort Myers, FL
Hi! I'm a brand new Dish customer, and I just got the ViP 622. The first thing I noticed were the ethernet and USB ports on the back while I was connecting the phone line.

I looked for some info as to possible uses of these jacks, and found the PocketDish for the USB port, but the only thing I found out about the ethernet port was that it was for 'future use'.

Anyone found some unofficial uses for these jacks? I'd love to be able to hook the box into my local LAN and media server if possible, or copy recorded content through a USB external hard disk.

Geronimo

Geronimo

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
It is being discussed in another thread. many have used jump drives to move pictures to the 622 but I have not been able to do this.

I have even read stories about using each of these ports to hook up toa home network but others have told me that it does not work. But why not try it with your LAN and re[port back to us?

Last edited:
G

garys

SatelliteGuys Master
Photos can be uploaded to the 622 via the USB port, it does not work on all digital cameras at this point. You can also download recorded events to a PocketDish. Eithernet is on active at this point that I know of.

Cyclone

Cyclone

Proud Stiff Member
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Maryland
USB - Thumb Drives for Pictures and Pocket Dish show transfer. Future: external Hard Disk storage.
Ethernet - Future use for VOD
DishComm - Remote dial tone for receiver call back.

S

Smith P.

On Vacation
Oct 4, 2003
Bay Area, CA
"DishComm - Remote dial tone for receiver call back." - incorrect;
actually it is a modem using power lines to communicate with other receivers; no more no less.

lakebum431

lakebum431

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Norris, TN
actually it is a modem using power lines to communicate with other receivers; no more no less.

True, but through DishComm it can command the other receiver to dial out thus eliminating the need for a phone line connected the the remote box.

navychop

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Other than that, some report plugging in "laptop lights" into the USB port or fans, so there's a bit of power there to be used.

Mostly, it's for future use, the indefinite future, sometimes referred to as "soon." :rolleyes:

YuriLuzr

YuriLuzr

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 23, 2003
*waves hands* These are not the ports you are looking for...move along.

Geronimo

Geronimo

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
The OP was actually interested in the ethernet and USB ports. DISHComm does part of what he might be interested in but was not really his focus. Though he might want to know what it can do.

External Storage is the most interesting idea--although these discussions make me want to go out and buy a pocket Dish