using a joey on sdtv

ronfelder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
south jersey
I currently have in my daughter's bedroom an old sdtv. I currently have one in my room but mine will be changed to hdtv so this question should only be in regards to on sdtv. I noticed that the Joey outputs in composite video. Will neither sdtv in my home have composite connectors. They only have RF coax input. I'm guessing the only solution to connect the Joey to the tv is with an RF Modulator. Any other suggestions to solving this problem?

I also notice in the wiring diagram of a Hopper/Joey install one needs a Hopper Internet Connector along with a router that the Internet Connector connects to. My router for my homeand interent is nowhere near where any cabling for Dish exists. I have an extra router would I need to use that to have the Internet Connector connect to my network? This router though would be connected to my local net not the internet. Since according to the devices name it needs to be connected to the interernet how would I connnect it to my router that is used in my house and for going on the itnerent?

The above question is based upon my understanding the wiring diagram posted in the Hopper Zone. If i'm wrong and don't understand how this all gets hooked please eplain. Thanks.

Ron

You could use an old VCR to convert the composite output to coax. You could put a wireless gaming adapter like the one below and a Hopper Internet Connector at the junction box where your Dish wires come in.

Newegg.com - TRENDnet TEW-647GA Wireless N Gaming Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n Ethernet Port Up to 300Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP (Hex & ASCII), WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK (AES/TKIP), WPS

Thanks. I don't know where my mind was but I have a Cisco WGA-600n now plugged into my 722k for BBMP. How would I be able to use this adapter for both the Hopper Internet Connector and BBMP on the Hopper?

I also notice in the wiring diagram of a Hopper/Joey install one needs a Hopper Internet Connector along with a router that the Internet Connector connects to. My router for my homeand interent is nowhere near where any cabling for Dish exists. I have an extra router would I need to use that to have the Internet Connector connect to my network? This router though would be connected to my local net not the internet. Since according to the devices name it needs to be connected to the interernet how would I connnect it to my router that is used in my house and for going on the itnerent?
hardwired ethernet connection to the hopper is probably the most ideal config.

However there's a few options even if you don't have coax nearby for the Hopper Internet Connector.

Like a USB wireless network adapter for the hopper or a wireless bridge. For a wireless bridge, i would recommend a dd-wrt compatible asus router that you can setup as a bridge (if you're a little tech savvy).

You can bet $ that the installers will have plenty of rf modulators on their vehicles.

hardwired ethernet connection to the hopper is probably the most ideal config.

However there's a few options even if you don't have coax nearby for the Hopper Internet Connector.

Like a USB wireless network adapter for the hopper or a wireless bridge. For a wireless bridge, i would recommend a dd-wrt compatible asus router that you can setup as a bridge (if you're a little tech savvy).

What advantage would a DD-WRT wireless bridge give me over a gaming adapter?

Thanks. I don't know where my mind was but I have a Cisco WGA-600n now plugged into my 722k for BBMP. How would I be able to use this adapter for both the Hopper Internet Connector and BBMP on the Hopper?
i would assume you'd just move the Cisco adapter from the 722k over to the hopper and you're good to go.

This won't be a popular comment with installers, but from a consumer standpoint I wouldn't give it much concern. These guys are ridden to no end on connectivity. Let them worry about connecting your non hdtv & hooking up the internet. If you have to pay for an upgrade let dish worry with the details.

What advantage would a DD-WRT wireless bridge give me over a gaming adapter?
less costly to get a dd-wrt router and set it up as a wireless bridge. Gaming adapters are usually pretty expensive.

I've been picking up Asus routers that are dd-wrt compatible for less than $30. Usually less than $20 if i do a rebate at newegg.

Also, when you don't want to use the dd-wrt compatible router as a bridge, you can repurpose it as a regular wireless router.

Most gaming bridges have only 1 port on them and usually run over $50. A router usually has 4 ports which is handy if you have a few devices to wire up at your TV location.

The downside to dd-wrt is you usually need a little bit of networking experience and certain routers are harder to update to DD-wrt firmware than others. A gaming adapter would probably be easier to set up than a dd-wrt bridge since it is dedicated for a very specific function.

less costly to get a dd-wrt router and set it up as a wireless bridge. Gaming adapters are usually pretty expensive.

I've been picking up Asus routers that are dd-wrt compatible for less than $30. Usually less than $15 if i do a rebate at newegg.

Also, when you don't want to use the dd-wrt compatible router as a bridge, you can repurpose it as a regular wireless router.

Most gaming bridges have only 1 port on them and usually run over $50. A router usually has 4 ports which is handy if you have a few devices to wire up at your TV location.

The downside to dd-wrt is you usually need a little bit of networking experience and certain routers are harder to update to DD-wrt firmware than others.

I am very techy so I know I can do it. But this ASUS router is 79.99 after rebate and the TrendNET gaming adapter is only $46.99.

Newegg.com - ASUS RT-N16 Wireless Router 802.11b/g/n up to 300Mbps DD-WRT Open Source support with USB Storage, Printer And Media Server

Newegg.com - TRENDnet TEW-647GA Wireless N Gaming Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n Ethernet Port Up to 300Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP (Hex & ASCII), WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK (AES/TKIP), WPS

RT-n16 is probably overkill for a wireless bridge. It would be fantastic primary router though.

The reviews on that trendnet seem to be decent, but i never had any luck with their networking gear and didn't consider it as good as some of the better brands.

I would go for something like the RT-N12 which is what I use as a primary router. I picked up a RT-N13U two months ago on sale for cheap, but haven't tested it out yet with DD-wrt. I don't see any great promotions right now on these routers though. Sign up for the newegg newsletter. They usually do some decent networking deals in there.

If you do want to dabble with DD-wrt, i would strongly recommend finding the instructions for the router you're interested in to see how easy it is (before you buy it). Sometimes these hardware companies make revisions within a model of router and the instructions for DD-wrt change. That way you know what you're getting into beforehand.

RT-n16 is probably overkill for a wireless bridge. It would be fantastic primary router though.

The reviews on that trendnet seem to be decent, but i never had any luck with their networking gear and didn't consider it as good as some of the better brands.

I would go for something like the RT-N12 which is what I use as a primary router. I picked up a RT-N13U two months ago on sale for cheap, but haven't tested it out yet with DD-wrt. I don't see any great promotions right now on these routers though. Sign up for the newegg newsletter. They usually do some decent networking deals in there.

If you do want to dabble with DD-wrt, i would strongly recommend finding the instructions for the router you're interested in to see how easy it is (before you buy it). Sometimes these hardware companies make revisions within a model of router and the instructions for DD-wrt change. That way you know what you're getting into beforehand.

I have one of their USB WiFi adapters and it works well. I subscribe to the Newegg newsletter and haven't seen much networking stuff for a while in there. I'm kind of skeptical with the RT-N12 since it only has 3/5 eggs. Would a Dual-band bridge add any benefit to the Dish setup? Since my primary router (Apple Airport Extreme 5th Gen) is dual band.

Newegg.com - ASUS RT-N12/B SuperSpeedN Wireless Router with 2x5dBi Antenna / Open Source DDWRT Support IEEE 802.11b/g/n/d, 802.3/3u, 802.11i/e, IPv4

I have one of their USB WiFi adapters and it works well. I subscribe to the Newegg newsletter and haven't seen much networking stuff for a while in there. I'm kind of skeptical with the RT-N12 since it only has 3/5 eggs.
looks like Asus updated that model...the older RT-N12 was much better reviewed but it seems to be discontinued now Newegg.com - ASUS RT-N12 Wireless Broadband Router SuperSpeedN 802.11b/g/n up to 300Mbps/ Open Source DD-WRT Support

It's hard to decipher the reviews on the new version since they're all over the place. I have the old one and it's the best router i've ever owned. If it wasn't for the price i'd have picked up the rt-n16, but the other models were always less than half the price when they went on sale.

(Normally the reviews basically say "asus firmware sucks", use DD-wrt and that explains the three or four stars.)
Would a Dual-band bridge add any benefit to the Dish setup? Since my primary router (Apple Airport Extreme 5th Gen) is dual band.
no experience with dual band, but i think the 5ghz band is ideal when you're getting interference. I know one of my routers near the kitchen that's setup as a bridge can get interference from the microwave at 2.4Ghz, but it's not often used anyways. See if this article helps explain it....

Ask Ars: are dual-band 802.11n routers worth the extra cost?

Last edited:
If you can use 5GHz that would be ideal as there is a lot less going on in the 5GHz band. However, it doesn't penetrate walls as well so it might not work for as well as you'd expect.

I know I only get about 1/3 of the range with 5GHz in my house as compared to 2.4GHz.

For your daughter, why not surprise her with a small hdtv. I've seen some as low as $150.
There are diagrams in another thread on how the H/J connect to the internet.

sparc said:
i would assume you'd just move the Cisco adapter from the 722k over to the hopper and you're good to go.

How would I connect the Hopper to the internet for bbmp if the gaming adapter is moved

How would I connect the Hopper to the internet for bbmp if the gaming adapter is moved
isn't BBMP just a programmed function of the receivers?

once you provide it internet access, the receiver should connect to the service.

I will add a disclaimer that i've never used a blockbuster movie pass enabled product, but that's how I thought it worked.

isn't BBMP just a programmed function of the receivers?

once you provide it internet access, the receiver should connect to the service.

I will add a disclaimer that i've never used a blockbuster movie pass enabled product, but that's how I thought it worked.

What's the purpose of the device that they hook up the internet to for the hopper and joey? would that connect the joey to the itnerent fo bbmp too?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts