Using DECA Broadband Adapters for MoCA Adapters

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
About 2 weeks ago,I received an email from Solid Signal that suggested you could use DECA Broadband adapters to hook your stereo HiFi equipment,internet ready TVs,Playstation 3,Xbox,etc. to your router ala MoCA. Well,I initially tried to merge DECA Broadband adapters with Actiontec's MoCA adapter & my coaxial cable from my cable company. Well,needless to say,it didn't work(I ended up having to order 3 extra Actiontec MoCA adapters to hook up with the adapter I already had.All are playing well together now). Anyway,rather than have 3 DECA broadband adapters go to waste,I ordered 3 SWM 2-way splitters to connect the three DECA broadband adapters to my D* DECA whole house installation(self-installed by me & running smoothly). What I did was first turn off all of my HD DVRs,installed the first 2 -way splitter to the cable in front of my SWM power adapter. I ran the 2-way splitter power side cable obviously to my swm power adapter. The other cable (non-powered side) ran to my DECA broadband adapter & then I hooked the ethernet cable from the adapter to the ethernet switch that was in that room. I turned everything on & all are running fine. The DECA broadband adapter is registering 3 green lights,& the HD DVR is running with all systems okay. I have just finished installing my 2nd DECA broadband adapter via 2-way splitter & hooked it up to my ethernet switch in my living room. I'm starting this thread in my living room hooked up to the ethernet switch that is attached to the DECA adapter. I just have one more DECA broadband adapter to hook up,then I'll see how the whole thing runs in the long haul.

Well,I finally hooked up my 3rd & final DECA Broadband adapter & all is going well. My satellite signal strengths are good,& systems check says that everything is ok. Now,I just have to see how day to day operations go.

Reactions: pagbuya
First lesson learned after one day: I had no communication with the switch hooked up to the 2 way splitter that fed both the DECA Broadband adapter AND SWM power adapter. Rather than move the SWM power adapter & rearrange cables on my 4-way splitter hooked to my dish(which would mean going outdoors on a ladder),I just disconnected the 2-way splitter & moved it to my 3rd receiver that didn't have a 2-way splitter attached to it. I then ran new coaxial cable(I have a real "hillbilly" set-up) to the DECA Broadband adapter & I now have communication with that switch. My 2-way splitter hook-ups are attached to my HR24-500 in my living room,my DECA Broadband & router in my nephew's room,& to my HR22-100 in my room. My SWM adapter is attached to my mother's HR23-700 in her room. Anybody else considering what I've just done,they only need to refine my redneck "hillbilly" set-up & it should work for them.

OK,almost one year later & six months after stopping my DECA/MoCA experiment,I decided to restart the experiment. Back then I had just my HR24,HR23,& HR22,along with a cinema connection kit,hooked up to a green labeled 4-way splitter. My original mistake that I have now learned that was from the green labeled 4-way splitters,I split three of the outlets each with green labeled 2-way splitters. Big mistake,I should have used non-MRV 2-way splitters. Anyway,I took down the green labeled 2-way splitters & disconnected the 3 extra cinema connection kits that I was using to hook up ethernet switches(went back to super long ethernet cables all over the house). Well soon I expanded my DTV receivers from 3 DVR's to 3 DVR's & a H25 & H24 receiver. from the green labeled 4 way splitter I attached 2 green labeled 2 way splitters to accomodate my new HD receivers. Just like with the DECA as MoCA experiment,picture suffered. I didn't get error messages,but the picture quality was degraded. I replaced my 4-way splitter with a green labeled 8 way splitter which gave each receiver & the cinema connection kit each their own dedicated outlet,with 2 outlets remaining on the 8-way terminated.
OK,the conclusion is that I read on another thread that basically you shouldn't follow up a green labeled splitter with another green labeled splitter attached(in reality,I had a non-MRV swm 4-way splitter & non-MRV SWM 2-way splitter,both of which I could have attached to a green labeled 2-way splitter that would have replaced the green labeled 4-way splitter & I wouldn't have had the picture degradation that I had with the original set-up & I wouldn't have needed to order the green labeled 8-way splitter,but I digress). So what I did was order 3 new non-MRV SWM 2-way splitters. After they came in,& avoiding splitting the signal to my 3 DVR's(because they already have a built in 2-way splitter for each tuner,& one is hooked up to the same line that my SWM power adapter is hooked up to),I assigned each splitter to split the signal for my 2 HD receivers & cinema connection kit.
After my set up was completed & ethernet switch hooked up to my 3 extra cinema connection kits dedicated to such,I can proudly say that I have no picture degradation to my HD receivers. I am posting this message on my computer hooked up to the switch hooked up to my router via DECA & the dedicated CCK also hooked up to it.

I have used decabb Cinema Connection kits to extend customers WIFi network on several occasions now. Split a connection to a receiver on the far side of the house from the customers existing WIFI, add a decabb and an accesss point or a wifi router with dhcp turned off on the same private ip address (192.168.#.#) etc. works great and is a real labor saver vs running new cat5. Only issue is slightly slower for intranet file transfers pc to pc within the home network since decca is about 85 Mbs vs 100 baseT or gigabit ethernet. for most residential applications this is not an issue.

I have used decabb Cinema Connection kits to extend customers WIFi network on several occasions now. Split a connection to a receiver on the far side of the house from the customers existing WIFI, add a decabb and an accesss point or a wifi router with dhcp turned off on the same private ip address (192.168.#.#) etc. works great and is a real labor saver vs running new cat5. Only issue is slightly slower for intranet file transfers pc to pc within the home network since decca is about 85 Mbs vs 100 baseT or gigabit ethernet. for most residential applications this is not an issue.

You were the inspiration for me using non-MRV SWM 2-way splitters,that made the big difference.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts