Using diplexers with a DP34 switch

wied

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
Wylie, Texas, United States
Need help using diplexers with a DP34 switch

I am have difficult trying to bing in a HD OTA signal on the same line as dish signal out of a DP 34. Here is my setup:
DP34-----diplexer----diplexer----Sat receiver
OTA-----/ - - - - - - - - - - \----HD receiver
Have tried many different brands of diplexers; The HD signal comes through fine but Sat. Receiver does not see DP 34 switch and only see satellite that is hook up to input one on DP34. My DP 34 is hook up to 110,119,148. Have tried switch which output port I use on DP switch does not matter. Any suggestion would help. Also has anyone ever user a JVI35DN34 switch here is the info on this switch:
http://www.petra.com/item.do?item=JVI35DN34&qcategory=10

Welcome to SatelliteGuys,

I have successfully used a Perfect Vision Di-plexer set on a DP34...I recommend double and triple checking which port of the Di-plexers are being used.

Personally I like to have separate feeds for Sat and OTA, I even had separate feeds prior to having Dish delivered locals. My very first D500 system I had Di-plexed, but after all the signal issues I was having I ran a dedicated OTA feed. I still use OTA for my 811 but the rest of my receivers are now LiL only (Dish delivered). I know it may be a pain to run a new feed, but I still prefer it, (Opinion).

Jason

2 things: 1) You don't say what kind of diplexer you are using. All diplexers are NOT created equal. The ones Radio Shack sells for $20 apiece do work, but there are much less expensive ones out there. Make sure the power passing side on both diplexers is used for the Satellite signal, and the blocking side is where your uhf is.

2) Assuming you get the satellite working, you'll find you take at least a 3db uhf signal loss by diplexing. You may want to stick a signal amp in there to boost your ota reception.

Wow, at least one of those sets should work. I use the RCA ones from radio shack, and I have a set of Sony's. Both work fine.

You said you could only see the satellite that is on input 1. This strongly points to the dc power/switching commands not being passed from receiver to switch. You did say you checked that the satellite and receiver connections were on the proper port of the diplexers though.

Is your cabling all RG6? If at all possible I'd try temporarily running an RG6 cable from diplexer to diplexer to see if your in-wall cabling could be a culprit. I've no other suggestions at this point.

1. What type of sat receiver do you have? 2. Does the receiver see the DP34 without the diplexer? 3. Does the receiver see all the birds thru the DP34 without the diplexer? 4.And lastly when you say "If i eliminate the DP34 and just use on side of the DP twin every thing works fine" am I to assume the the diplexers are doing their job without the switch and you get both OTA and SAT? I am trying to determine if you have a BAD DP34. If you answered YES to 2 & 3 then your switch is probably good.

I have a 508,510,and two 301s am trying to setup the diplexer on 510 line. The receiver works fine with out diplexer and see 119,110 and 148 birds. Can the switch work fine except with a diplexer?

My dp34 works fine with my diplexers. The thing is, since the switch depends on dc voltage signals, if for some reason the signal was borderline without the diplexer, then adding a pair could push it over the edge. That's why I suggested the temporary test with a piece of RG6.

Are all DP34 outputs equal?

My setup is DP twin + 2nd dish pointed to 148 location. 3 feeds going to DP34.
output 1 of DP34 going to 811 and outputs 2,3 to 522. I wanted to have an OTA antenna diplexed with one of the 522 feeds.

When I do this, check switch on 522 shows one tuner seeing DP34 and another one - DP feed from 110 satellite only, no DP34. If I remove diplexer, everything is fine. I have tried the same diplexer with 811 feed from the same DP34 and it works like a charm, so it doesn't look like diplexer is bad.

The diplexers you use need to be rated to pass 2150 Mhz. This will allow the stacked frequencies from the DP LNBF's to pass. Any surge suppressor(s) you have in the line need to be similarly rated. I found all of this out the hard way, but it can be done. I bought my diplexers at Lowes; I can't remember the brand name off-hand, but they are clearly marked with the frequency range.

Brad

They are rated. I have also tried 2 different brands. Somehow 811 is fine with them, but 522 is not. Both of them use DP stacked freq.

It should NOT matter, but try moving your 522 to switch ports 1 & 2 or 3 & 4.

Also, double-check the jumper that you use to go from the switch port to the diplexer. I'm assuming it's not in use when the diplexer isn't there. ;)

Also, try swapping the 811 & 522 OTA feeds, and/or disconnecting the 811 OTA feed, and/or simply disconnect the 811 entirely from both.

All of this is just problem isolation. Keep track of what happens.

Finally, have you done what AJ suggests in post #12?

SimpleSimon said:
Also, double-check the jumper that you use to go from the switch port to the diplexer. I'm assuming it's not in use when the diplexer isn't there. ;)
Yes, I have checked it and barrel I had to use as well :)
Well, after I disconnected all lines from the receivers and connected 522 first it worked! :shocked

When hooking a dual tuner receiver to a DP 3:4 switch, you must use either ports 1 & 2 or ports 3 & 4 for the dual tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts