Using Dish antenna to also get DirecTV 101 stat.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nskatp

Original poster
May 19, 2006
Hi,

I currently have Dish Network and I have the dual LNB antenna (not too sure of the exact model), I want to subscribe to DirecTV also. I don’t want to drop my Dish subscription but in my apartment complex there’s a rule where I can only have one antenna on my balcony, I was wondering if I can somehow use the Dish antenna and just add a DTV LNB and point to 101?, has anybody been able to do this?, is there any adaptor?

Thanks for any advice or information.

nskatp said:
Hi,

I currently have Dish Network and I have the dual LNB antenna (not too sure of the exact model), I want to subscribe to DirecTV also. I don’t want to drop my Dish subscription but in my apartment complex there’s a rule where I can only have one antenna on my balcony, I was wondering if I can somehow use the Dish antenna and just add a DTV LNB and point to 101?, has anybody been able to do this?, is there any adaptor?

Thanks for any advice or information.
The only way would be to jury rig a Dish 500, lots of luck with that. If you can find an old Directv 18x24 inch three LNB dish you could easily mount the three LNBs for 101/110/119.:)

I remember finding a site with pictures and step by steps instructions on how to do it. He used a Directv Para Todos dish and combined the E* and D* signals with a multi-switch. With that dish you can look at 101/110/119 like Bob said.

Of course the E* lnbs were Legacy. You will have to spend money in new equipment (legacy lnbs, multi-switch, directv Para todos dish, etc). I will try to find it but that was at least a couple of years ago.

Just found it:

http://www.techweenies.com/dss-1.shtml

Just get a Dish 1000. Point it to 101-110-119 instead of 110-119-129.
Place a Legacy Lnb into the now 101 slot (marked 110) and you'll be set.
You can then place a twin (DP or legacy) into the 119/129 spaces or use 2 duals and pickup 110 & 119.

Last edited:
nskatp said:
Thanks all for your help. I will try what Derwin0 is suggesting.
I have a DTV 3 sat dish comlplete with lnb's.....all three are dual lnb's..Yes the D-1000 antena will work also.......use the dish pointing menu to get your AZ,EL and Skew..

The Dish 500/1000 (legacy or dishpro) are not compatiable with the Directv 110lnb and IT WILL NOT WORK no matter what else you are told.

You will also notice in the diagram on that page posted, the 110 lnb is ONLY FEEDING THE DISH STB, not the Directv stb as again, IT WILL NOT WORK.

You can get 101 and 119, but not D* 110.

Last edited:
Last edited:
HDTVFanAtic said:
The Dish 500/1000 (legacy or dishpro) are not compatiable with the Directv 110lnb and IT WILL NOT WORK no matter what else you are told.

You will also notice in the diagram on that page posted, the 110 lnb is ONLY FEEDING THE DISH STB, not the Directv stb as again, IT WILL NOT WORK.

You can get 101 and 119, but not D* 110.
beg to differ..I can take a standard dual DBS LNB that accepts circular polarity, point it at 110 and get a signal.
If you beleieve this will not work , please provide the data thta confirms your claim.
Thanks

dishcomm said:
beg to differ..I can take a standard dual DBS LNB that accepts circular polarity, point it at 110 and get a signal.
If you beleieve this will not work , please provide the data thta confirms your claim.
Thanks

Real simple Mr. Genius. A signal does not mean that it works. You can show up for a job and still not do any work.

Directv uses a special LNB that is a limited narrow band 12.6Ghz - 12.7Ghz (as opposed to a standard circular lnb which runs 12.2Ghz - 12.7Ghz) as its only used to pick up Transponders 28-30-32 on 110W and limit any other emmission from other transponders lower than 12.6Ghz in the next 2 stages.

Then the modifed electronics in the lnb to convert transponders 28-30-32 frequencies down to Transponders 8-10-12 frequencies.

As the older Directv IRDs were made to only see 2 birds, Transponders 28-30-32 - now downconverted to 8-10-12 on 110w (SAT C in D* Terms) are then inserted into the Even Transponder side on 119W (SAT B) where Directv only has the Transponders 22-32.

All would be good except the different signal strength from those birds (and remember E* does have active transponders on 8-10-12) so a special attenuator is also needed as those signals are combined.

Thus anyone saying that they have 110W working with both D* and E* off the same lnb can also claim they have monkeys coming out their butt as both claims are equally as valid.

Last edited:
I forgot to tell that I really only need DirecTV 101, I’m in Dallas so the locals are in that satellite and not looking for HD from DirecTV, so with that in mind I think that the best way to do this, and please correct me if I’m wrong, is to get myself a DirecTV Para Todos antenna (3 LNB), then get rid of the Sat C (110) LNB and add a ‘normal’ DirecTV LNB (I’m thinking of buying a dual CalAmp), then I will take both cables from 110 and both from 119 and feed them to a SW64 switch and then take 2 cables to my Dish 721 PVR. Then both cables from the 101 LNB to my DirecTV Tivo receiver. Does anybody see a potential problem with this setup?

Thanks a lot….

HDTVFanAtic said:
Real simple Mr. Genius. A signal does not mean that it works. You can show up for a job and still not do any work.

Directv uses a special LNB that is a limited narrow band 12.6Ghz - 12.7Ghz (as opposed to a standard circular lnb which runs 12.2Ghz - 12.7Ghz) as its only used to pick up Transponders 28-30-32 on 110W and limit any other emmission from other transponders lower than 12.6Ghz in the next 2 stages.

Then the modifed electronics in the lnb to convert transponders 28-30-32 frequencies down to Transponders 8-10-12 frequencies.

As the older Directv IRDs were made to only see 2 birds, Transponders 28-30-32 - now downconverted to 8-10-12 on 110w (SAT C in D* Terms) are then inserted into the Even Transponder side on 119W (SAT B) where Directv only has the Transponders 22-32.

All would be good except the different signal strength from those birds (and remember E* does have active transponders on 8-10-12) so a special attenuator is also needed as those signals are combined.

Thus anyone saying that they have 110W working with both D* and E* off the same lnb can also claim they have monkeys coming out their butt as both claims are equally as valid.

HEY!!!!!!!!!! I asked politiely for the data and you come off with this sarcastic( hey mr. genius) reply....Don't try to worm your way out of it either..I am the king od sacasm there ,sunshine....
WTF crawled up your ass and died..
No one wants to put up with a grouch....
Communictaion terminated....

nskatp said:
I forgot to tell that I really only need DirecTV 101, I’m in Dallas so the locals are in that satellite and not looking for HD from DirecTV, so with that in mind I think that the best way to do this, and please correct me if I’m wrong, is to get myself a DirecTV Para Todos antenna (3 LNB), then get rid of the Sat C (110) LNB and add a ‘normal’ DirecTV LNB (I’m thinking of buying a dual CalAmp), then I will take both cables from 110 and both from 119 and feed them to a SW64 switch and then take 2 cables to my Dish 721 PVR. Then both cables from the 101 LNB to my DirecTV Tivo receiver. Does anybody see a potential problem with this setup?
If you can find a para todos, that's the way to go. Only problem with the para todos, is that dish network lnb won't fit on it, so you're stuck with legacy.
Otherwise you can use a Dish 1000 (easier to find, cost about $50), and use a legacy dual for 101 (dirt cheap, less than $10 on ebay), and use what you want (leagacy/dishpro, dual/twin/DPPtwin) for Dish Network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts