Using Hopper w/ RG59 cable

I don't think "ampacity" comes into play with such small currents.
While not in the hair dryer amperage range, the currents are by no means "small" relative to the size of the center conductor.

RG59 features a center conductor that is typically 22AWG and that can handle approximately 0.92 amperes. The 20AWG copper version can do 1.5amperes. RG6, with its 18AWG center conductor has an ampacity of 2.3amps.

The output of the DPP44 Power Inserter is rated at 1.65amps on the output side and that's clearly above the ampacity of either flavor of RG59. It isn't prudent to use wire that doesn't meet the ampere rating of the power supply unless you know for certain what the actual load might be.

The 1000.2 and 1000.4 will work with about 0.7amps.

These numbers obviously apply only to the line going to the antenna.

The node to Hopper cable needs to pass 650MHz to 3GHZ so if the RG59 isn't "special", you may find it isn't optimal. Even today, most RG59 cables are only sweep tested to 1GHz.

Could you explain the necessity of this device? I have two Hoppers and two Joeys and don't believe I have one of these. Don't feel like crawling up my attic right now where my stuff is.

Could you explain the necessity of this device? I have two Hoppers and two Joeys and don't believe I have one of these. Don't feel like crawling up my attic right now where my stuff is.

Are you talking about the Node? If so then yes, you need to have a Duo Node in order for your two Hoppers and two Joeys to work. The Duo Node could be outside by the Dish, in the attic or anywhere else in the house.

I know mine is 'locked' in the home distro box on the side of my house. It's one of those "if I didn't know what it was, I wouldn't know what it is" kinda things.

The dpp44 power inserter is the power source for a dpp44 switch. The switch is used to hook up multiple tuners/recievers in specific setups. Most installs have a standard set up, so the switch is built into the LNB eliminating the need for a 44 switch.

You don't need a DPP44 switch or power inserter for any standard Hopper installation. It may be needed in very unusual setups - more than two Hoppers, or Two Hoppers + a 211 to two, or a single Hopper + 2 211's, a Hopper + SJ + a 211, a single dish being shared by multiple units in an apt or such, etc.

Has anyone ever used RG59 cable to connect the Hopper?

As the thread starter I thought I should report. I posted this inquiry at the request of my independent installer on his initial "scouting" visit. Forwarded him the early feedback. Thank you for the feedback.

This house had a mix of coax from the original construction (late 70's) thru several generations of DISH hardware upgrades by the previous owners. Cable TV was never available. My selected installer managed to overcome some pretty big accessibility and connection issues. Got RG6 routed where it needed to be to operate two HWS. Still had to rely on some RG59 for the Joeys. Some of the previous wiring and connections were a POS. It took seven hours to replace two VIP722Ks with two HWS + 3 Joeys, but I was assisting (that is probably why it took so long, ha-ha). And we had to replace a fair amount of coax. I am confident that the installer could not have done a better job unless it was an unfinished house under construction!

By the way, loving the Hopper(s). My wife and I were a very content with the 722Ks but were apprehensive about learning the new Hopper system. But with less than one week's experience with the new hardware, we are not looking back at all.

Congrats and welcome to the hopper family.

It's definitely different, but I could never look back. And I used to love my old 722k's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)