Using Starband dish for Dish 500-how?

mmcdowel

Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
The dish I have is from the pilot program. I have the Dish LNB's mounted but I don't know what the proper AZ/EL and skew settings should be for my location in Greentown, IN 46936. Any help greatly appreciated!

Neat. This is something I have yet to do. The only settings that you can be sure of are around 222 az and 34 elevation. You could always use the twist and shout method: hook the reciever up to the dish, go to the point dish screen and find the correct satellite, then have a buddy watching the screen while you tweek the dish. For lack of a buddy you could call your cell from your home phone and just set it next to the tv, and take the cell outside with ya. It will take a few seconds for the receiver to adjust to your settings, so it could be slow going, and I hope you have the proper LNB for your receiver.

Does that dish have a skew setting? how big is the dish?

The dish is about 26" x 36". I have removed the Starband crap (xmit/rec) but have the Sat TV LNB's that came with the dish mounted on the stock bracket mounted in the stock location. I had Starband internet till about a year ago and the dish has just been sitting there since so it is still aligned to whatever Sat Starband was using. (It appears to be pointing pretty far West of where my Dish 500 is pointing!) The skew is set to about 51 and the elevation is about 40. Does this help?

Eh, I'm really not sure. I'm not much of a math head, but try pointing the dish to the general location for your area(222 azimuth, 34 elevation), and see what kind of signal you can get from the 119. Then you could start tweeking the skew a bit. I did some side work for a guy who had done the same thing with an old primestar dish and a dual LNB. he was only hitting 119 but we got it maxed out. A dish with those dimensions should be able to hit both 119 and 110 with the proper LNB setup, but i'm just guessing. Try it and see how it works out. Nothing to lose but time. :)

:) if you already had the tv lbn's then its already pointed correctly. it was designed to be a dual dish sat-tv/internet. the lbn for the starband internet will not help you. so leave it correctly pointed for starband. these are legacy lbn's which will give you a problem with dpp. make shire you get a new set of lbn's. but at that point your better off selling it and upgrading to a new dish!

Thanks for the replys! I found the skew table I needed on the Starband training website. The dish had been aimed at the sat at 129 for the Starband internet. For some reason I couldn't find the Dishnetwork sats (110/119) at that position. I finally got it to work by aiming the dish for the sat at 101, using the settings for skew and elevation from the Starband table!

:) now for the trick!!! put a washer or two on the lower screw between the lbn bracket and the mount. pitching the bracket upward. this will increase your signal strength. it was sent out on a training bulletin to installers a while back.

I'm not sure which bolt you are referring to. The bolt that holds the feed arm to the dish or one of the bolts on the bracket that holds the LNB's? The bolts on the LNB bracket don't seem like they would pitch them up. Looks like it would be more likely to move them horizontally.

Attachments

• PIC00014.JPG
    PIC00014.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 217
  • PIC00012.JPG
    PIC00012.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 224

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)