Using Windows XP PC as internet connection for my ViP 612 receiver

lee4862

Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
virginia
HI,

I've followed some online instructions for using my PC as the hardwired internet connection for my 612, but it still won't work. I've reset my wireless adapter, PC, and receiver, but it still won't connect. Broadband tech support advised me to buy a wireless adapter for the 612, but I'd prefer to just connect it directly to my PC. The PC itself is connected wirelessly. Help!

not sure that there is a way to do this with a DHCP network device. the receiver has to get it's IP address from something, and the PC won't normally do that for you.

it would have to start with bridging the two network adapters in the PC. The wireless and the wired I mean. once you have that, then plug the ethernet cable into the receiver and see if it can get an IP address.

only gigabit does that. you need to make sure you have ICS enabled. you do not need to bridge the adapters.

It doesn't matter to me if you are, but are you sharing an internet connection with someone else? If you are, you might want to get a client bridge and plug the PC and the 612 both into it. Something like a linksys 54g with dd-wrt would be best.

It is not possible to do this with out the special connections that others above have listed. You would be much better to get the wireless adapter or go direct to a port on the router. The PC will not give your 612 an IP address that it needs.

ICS provides DHCP and this will work, but it is not the most reliable solution. save yourself the aggravation and get a router or wireless card for the receiver.

get a $28 E2000 on amazon, load dd-wrt and set it up as a bridge. you will be all set and it has a 4-port gigabit switch!

only gigabit does that. you need to make sure you have ICS enabled. you do not need to bridge the adapters.
not true, GIG has it spec'd in the standard, yes. BUT ... many vendors jumped on the auto MDX bandwagon years ago, and now most support it without issue in common home environments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_dependent_interface#MDI_vs._MDIX

As to the issues ... one of the problems and why "bridging" is mentioned, is that the receiver needs to be in the same IP subnet as the rest of the machines and the internet gateway router. When its not, it means you have to do extra setup steps to "map" the required connection through your routers (when you use ICS, you're using your pc as a router or bridge router).

If these terms are foreign to you, then again, your best source is to get a connector for the receiver itself, if you're adventurous the E2000 router with DD-WRT is a great suggestion, and there's lots of help available with the steps to do the configuring of said e2000.

Last edited:
not true, GIG has it spec'd in the standard, yes. BUT ... many vendors jumped on the auto MDX bandwagon years ago, and now most support it without issue in common home environments.
Many, yes, BUT not all have it and it is not safe to assume so. Cisco/Linksys have adopted this feature as well as many of the other common home equipment brands (netgear, d-link, belkin, etc...) but without knowing what type of pc he has- there is no telling what type of integrated nic or add-in it may have and forget the 612.

lee4862, as you can see from this thread, there is a lot to consider. It is better to get a router, but just way easier to spring for the wireless adapter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts