Verizon 5G Rant

arlo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 4, 2016
North Eastern
Now I don't claim to know much on cell phones. If they work. Good. If not then who knows.
Last week I lost signal. I'm in line of sight to a tower. Rebooted my phone.
I got in the car and drove up to it. No signal. Drove down the hill 5 miles away and got good signal. Called Verizon and basically got hung up on after their automated message.
Drove to another tower and it was fluctuating in and out.
So I get home and locals are on FB asking about if phones were acting up.
Got on Verizon chat on my pc. First denial. Reboot the phone and all of that stuff. I said listen. You need to know that your towers are glitching.
I got chat-transferred to "engineering". Finally got an answer. Verizon is the only provider out here. Good luck with Sprint, ATT.
Seems as if while they are doing the 5G conversion they have to reduce signal so as not to interfere with other cell providers.
You have to hunt to get an ATT signal at all. Sprint.....have a tank of gas.
Later on at home signal went full bars and my phone beeped letting me know there was a signal.
30 minutes of chat and then another 20 after getting somebody who fessed up and let me know what the deal was.
Only thing worse is talking to Dell support. My friend. And a flat Slurpee with stale nachos.
Anybody else experiencing stuff like this on their signal lately?

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
The argument about reducing power is poppycock. They don't have to change anything on the 4G side to add 5G. If they were replacing 4G with 5G, that might be a different story but the marketplace is far from ready for that (since Apple won't offer 5G devices until 2021 at the earliest).

EarDemon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 5, 2014
USA
That makes no sense at all. I'm not a cell tower engineer, nor do I play one on the internet, but I have a basic concept on how this stuff works, and that explanation does not compute. The only way I could see this sorta being the case is if you live near an international border. You list your location as North East, are you anywhere near the Canada? In my neck of the woods, Sprint could not deploy their 800 MHz LTE (repurposed Nextel spectrum) because my market borders Canada and I live in the International Border Exclusionary Zone. Not saying this is the case, and I'm not familiar with the spectrum holdings of the Canadian providers, but I'm just throwing it out there it is plausible that if you live near Canada (or Mexico for that matter) that something going on, on the other side of the border could impact service in some manner.

Verizon only uses mmWave for their 5G NR, 29 and 38 GHz specifically, AT&Ts mmWave is at 39 GHz and 24 GHz. At those frequencies, you're looking at coverage areas measured in yards, not miles. The highest LTE frequency used by the big carriers is 2500 MHz on Sprint, now T-Mobile. There is no way those could interfere with each other. For LTE, Verizon's main frequency is 700 MHz, with 1900 MHz and 1700/2100 MHz being utilized as well.

arlo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 4, 2016
North Eastern
Like I said. I don't know. But the 2 very wide freqs. that show in the 700-800 MHz band very strong normally, that day on my service monitor were dead dead dead. Pass the buck, it's my phone. Well it wasn't obviously.
All I do know (nope a long way from the land of 'eh') is nobody here has ATT or Sprint. If they come here for long and do, that too will pass. I do wonder how many that day made the same call. Turn off your phone wait a minute, try removing and replacing your sim card, ok turn off your phone and we'll refresh your service. The 5g thing was the most plausible explanation.

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
Yeah, that's CSR B.S. to get you off the phone. They make it sound just plausible enough, so you aren't sure, and give them the benefit of the doubt. At least long enough for them to get you to hang up...

EarDemon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 5, 2014
USA
If Verizon was using 700 MHz for LTE and NR like T-Mobile is doing with 600 MHz and 2500 MHz and AT&T is doing with 850 MHz, I could see where if they were in the process of implementation or testing the LTE would be taken down temporarily, but that's not the case.

The Verizon tower near where I work has had a few service related issues. In the past year or so on three separate occasions spaced months apart, LTE disappeared for days at a time. Everyone went from decent LTE service to non-usable/barely usable 1xRTT. Having T-Mobile, I was still chugging along at 75 Mbps and able to make and receive calls. Most people have VZW as their carrier for personal phones, the vast majority of our company cell phones are on VZW. AT&T has no coverage at all where I work, so for those few days, me and our service manager who was on Sprint were just about the only people in the company with usable cell phones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)