Verizon To Pull Analog TV Signals In Texas

Multichannel News

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 11, 2004
Verizon, as part of fulfilling its regulatory commitment to move to all-digital TV transmission by February 2009, will stop transmitting local analog broadcast signals to FiOS TV customers in its Texas markets. starting Sept. 22.

For More of this MultiChannel News Article please CLICK HERE...

This article seems to imply that the analog signal sent through the ONT is being discontinued due to FCC rules. I thought the FCC rules only applied to over the air broadcasting.

Did I misunderstand the article?

This article seems to imply that the analog signal sent through the ONT is being discontinued due to FCC rules. I thought the FCC rules only applied to over the air broadcasting.

The FCC rules apply ONLY to over the air. There is a lot of confusion among people since it hasn't been explained very well. Verizon is apparently taking advantage of this misunderstanding to get rid of it's bandwidth wasting analog tier. Disingenuous if you ask me.

You're correct the FCC only mandates that full-power over-the-air broadcasters transition from analog to digital...it has no bearing on cable or satellite. However, in July 2007, the FCC required all cable companies (FiOS included) to provide seperable security (i.e. Cablecard) in their digital set-top-boxes. Because FiOS was in the midst of building out their network they asked for, and received, a one-year waiver. In exchange, Verizon promised their networks would be "all digital" prior to Feb 2009 in order to secure the waiver.

You said they promised to go all digital in exchange for the waiver. Why would the FCC care if they went all digital? I don't understand what the FCC gets out of that.
Good question...while it bought FiOS 12-months of time, it didn't have any impact on the FCC. Offhand, I think it may have been politically motivated since the FCC (Chairman Martin) is viewed as Pro Telcos and Anti Cable. Since the FCC denied a waiver request by Comcast, perhaps Verizon felt they had to ante up something (promise to go 100% digital) so their request would be approved and not be seen as favoritism. While a 100% digital network will benefit Verizon, I can't see where the FCC would/should care...but it sure looks good on paper.