Video killed the internet star

garee

Original poster
May 6, 2005
DFW
On Saturday my DSL stopped working, sort of. It would still connect, but very few packets could get through, so most applications failed.

Calls to SBC only resulted in frustration at being treated like a simpleton.

My brain worked on the problem while I slept and I woke up this morning with the realization I had moved my 625 upstairs on Saturday and plugged it into the phone line.

I went upstairs and unplugged it and the DSL came back to life. Plugged it back in and bye-bye DSL.

I haven't tried seeing what happens yet if I unplug my 942 while the 625 is still plugged in. I also haven't put a DSL filter onto that connection, but will give that a try tonight.

Anyone else seen anything like this? I would have expected better isolation from noise on the phone connection.

"better isolation" is what the DSL filter is for. You need a filter if you are going to connect any analog device to the line.

This is one of the main reasons I abhor DSL filters and think whole house filters should be the rule and NOT the exception. It's simply NOT that difficult to split out a two-wire pair, run that to a separate jack, and run the rest of the house off a filter that's in the TNI (the little grey telco box outside your house). If you don't have the extra pair available, fine, but MOST homes are wired with 3-4 pair with two pair used at most for two lines.

Back On Topic : Yes, you absolutely HAVE to use a DSL filter on every device plugged into a phone jack or you will kill your DSL.

Ah, I was under the impression the filter was to remove the high frequency DSL traffic (noise) from the telephone device. I though the data port on the filter (which I do have the modem plugged into) was to protect the modem from noise introduced by other devices.

I guess the 625 is introducing noise in the same range as the modem uses for carrying data.

Should be all cleared up tonight.

I can't even connect my 721 with a DSL filter without loosing my DSL connection... After I recently rewired my satellite and antenna coax lines to a central distribution box with proper grounding I lost my DSL connection (grounding is to the same ground rod that the phone system is connected to). After lots of calls to my provider, they had me go through and disconnect everything. We then determined that it was my satellite receiver that was causing the issue - even with the DSL filter properly installed!! I verified all the internal wiring for my phones and everything is good. So I no longer connect my satellite receivers to the phone line - I can't if I want a stable working DSL line. I don't know why this is a problem, but it is. I have even tried different filters, all with the same result - as soon as I plug in the 721, my DSL disconnects.

I run my IR to a network closet, where all the eqpt is.

The dsl filter filters out the ir signals

I called Verizon, they said, ir or dsl? You pick!

I am returning my dsl eqpt this week.

:)

pacman said:
I can't even connect my 721 with a DSL filter without loosing my DSL connection... After I recently rewired my satellite and antenna coax lines to a central distribution box with proper grounding I lost my DSL connection (grounding is to the same ground rod that the phone system is connected to). After lots of calls to my provider, they had me go through and disconnect everything. We then determined that it was my satellite receiver that was causing the issue - even with the DSL filter properly installed!! I verified all the internal wiring for my phones and everything is good. So I no longer connect my satellite receivers to the phone line - I can't if I want a stable working DSL line. I don't know why this is a problem, but it is. I have even tried different filters, all with the same result - as soon as I plug in the 721, my DSL disconnects.

Have you ever tried stacking two filters for the 721?? Never know, it might work.

Silly rabbit....Don't you know DSL stands for Don't Surf Long?? I work for a large DSL ISP, and believe me...it's quirky and unstable. Call your DSL provider and explain the problem, and ask for a splittered install. If they try to charge you for it, tell them you'll cancel if you don't get it free. The splitter install will give you ONE jack JUST FOR DSL, with the DSl signal blocked at the NID for the rest of the house. Should fix your problem.

Patriot
Semper Vigilans

kanebear said:
Have you ever tried stacking two filters for the 721?? Never know, it might work.
Yup, tried that too - still no luck.

patriot said:
Call your DSL provider and explain the problem, and ask for a splittered install.
When I was troubleshooting this problem, I specifically asked if there was a way to connected the line I specifically ran for DSL to my computer just to the DSL, and they told me there wasn't. I'm not surprised that they may have been wrong. My DSL provider is different from my phone company and I think that is why SBC doesn't want to help me out - now if I was using SBC's DSL...who knows :rolleyes: .

Oh well, since we don't use PPV, there really is no reason to have to connect anyhow. This may be a problem later if I ever upgrade to one of the newer receivers that require the phone connection, but I guess I'll deal with that when it happens. Thanks for the info!

pacman said:
Yup, tried that too - still no luck.

When I was troubleshooting this problem, I specifically asked if there was a way to connected the line I specifically ran for DSL to my computer just to the DSL, and they told me there wasn't. I'm not surprised that they may have been wrong. My DSL provider is different from my phone company and I think that is why SBC doesn't want to help me out - now if I was using SBC's DSL...who knows :rolleyes: .

Oh well, since we don't use PPV, there really is no reason to have to connect anyhow. This may be a problem later if I ever upgrade to one of the newer receivers that require the phone connection, but I guess I'll deal with that when it happens. Thanks for the info!

You can get away with DSL without filters ala a splitter. However the splitter (and the installation of) is expensive, usually about $100. I dont agree with the person saying to threaten to cancel if cant get one, people like you think you can get anything you want free with enough whining and moaning. DSL will work fine with working filters. I work for Frontier, have the DSL myself, have NEVER had an issue with connection, and never had an issue using filters, even with my 522 plugged in. Everything works perfectly.

The only exception to this rule is in some areas of Elk Grove/Sacramento CA where we have installed fiber optic cabling, and filters just wont work so a splitter is absolutely required. You may want to check that you dont have a broken filter.

Every DSL company should have the option to install a splitter (because of monitored alarms), dont but be suprised if it costs you.

patriot said:
Silly rabbit....Don't you know DSL stands for Don't Surf Long??
Not at my home. In over two years, my DSL service has worked flawlessly, and fast too. The only time there was a problem was when I forgot to use a filter when I added a Dish receiver, just like garee.

So, for me, DSL has meant Damn Solid Link.

I've DSL with the phone lines on. At the network switch (outside phone connections) is where I have the filter. I run a line right from that to the DSL modem jack, and the rest of the house is after the filter. No problems because the DSL legal areas are outside the filter area and the phones do not hear it. The filtering does not keep the phone out of the DSL (the DSL is not supposed to look at phone frequency areas) and the filter is used to keep the DSL noise off the phone. By running from the Net Connection, the losses in house wiring that can cause DSL and phone equipment not to coexist do not exist.

Well, the splitter is installed. No longer need filters on any of the phones and my DSL speed has picked up about 200kbps. BUT, as soon as I plug in my 721 I lose my DSL connection, so it looks like I definitely have an issue with the 721. I can now plug in my other receiver (model 5000 I think) and the DSL is stable, but not the 721. I am going to contact Dish support about this and see what they have to say, but since I haven't had any other major problem with this 721, I am not going to swap it out with one of their refurbs, I will just live with it disconnected from the phone line. If I find out anything of interest from Dish, I will post it here. Otherwise, I will just leave it be. Thanks for the suggestions!

patriot said:
Silly rabbit....Don't you know DSL stands for Don't Surf Long?? I work for a large DSL ISP, and believe me...it's quirky and unstable. Call your DSL provider and explain the problem, and ask for a splittered install. If they try to charge you for it, tell them you'll cancel if you don't get it free. The splitter install will give you ONE jack JUST FOR DSL, with the DSl signal blocked at the NID for the rest of the house. Should fix your problem.

Patriot
Semper Vigilans

And I use a DSL system that has been super for the past 4 years. Some companies have their act together with the right hardware, apparently, including all switches and lines. Only problem is not technical: They email that my (debit) card will be charged for the monthly amount at 2 am and then charge it at 2:15am. Gives lots of time to move funds if checking is down - NOT.

dogpoobob said:
Well, just to be contrary. I have DSL from BellSouth and my 942 is hooked straight to my Home/DSL line with NO filter and I have NO problems with either the DSL or the reception.

Well, do a google search and find DSL filters to see why one SHOULD use them.

Still, the best way is to have a whole house filtered system and the unfiltered line right to the DSL Modem/Router

The filter keeps the DSL sounds out of the phone when using the phone. Not the other way around. Now, it is not impossible for phone interface equipment to have a built in filter and many do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)