VIP 211K

FredinUP

Original poster
Jul 4, 2020
Iron River, MI
Can I add this unit (VIP 211K) to my existing Dish system currently consisting of a Hopper Sling and two Joeys. I want to add for their $7/month mobile program to use on weekends at my UP cabin. I would use a Dish 1000.2 antenna on tripod. I do not want to use the automatic expensive antennas that the Wallys seem to require. Any help really appreciated.
I used to be an RV-er with a Directv system and have some alignment equipment.

Can I add this unit (VIP 211K) to my existing Dish system currently consisting of a Hopper Sling and two Joeys. I want to add for their $7/month mobile program to use on weekends at my UP cabin. I would use a Dish 1000.2 antenna on tripod. I do not want to use the automatic expensive antennas that the Wallys seem to require. Any help really appreciated.
I used to be an RV-er with a Directv system and have some alignment equipment.

You should be able to add your VIP211K receiver to your existing DISH account. The purchased receiver can be added to the account at $7 per month. Since the receiver is purchased, you are able to disable the receiver when not in use, and when you are ready to use it, reactivate the receiver. You would be able to reach out to our Chat Team using this link to get this set up: Direct Chat

Just for your info you could use a Wally on that 1000.2, you don't need anything special.
Thank you for comments. I am trying a Wally on trial (from Walmart but from retailer reseller) on my home Dish system by attaching Wally to coax line which was into one of my Joeys and I get a "failure" after about 7 minutes of download time. Not sure which my house sat dish is but 2 Lnb's and pointed in what looks like eastern arc (less than 190 degrees south). Dish size is aprox 25+" wide and 20+" high. It Seems to me that the system is looking for a "mobile sat antenna" connection. and causing failure. Any ideas for retesting using the Wally? My next step was to set up a Dish 1000.2 turbo which is on order.

You can't just replace a Joey with a Wally (or any other receiver), you would need a separate line directly to the dish. It's a little more complicated than that but that's a simplified description.
Easiest will be just wait until you get the new 1000.2

I thought you couldn't have a Wally or a Hopper and a VIP211k on the same account? I thought that once the account was flagged as having either Wally/Hopper that if you tried to add a VIP211k it wouldn't work.

I thought you couldn't have a Wally or a Hopper and a VIP211k on the same account? I thought that once the account was flagged as having either Wally/Hopper that if you tried to add a VIP211k it wouldn't work.
I'll debunk that. I currently have a ViP222k, a Hopper Duo, a Wally, and a ViP211k on my account. (I only keep one or two of those receivers activated at the same time, though.) My ViP222k is activated full-time, and I can add and remove any of the other receivers at will. All of my receivers are purchased, if that makes a difference. I recently added a ViP211k to this account (replacing another ViP211k that had long since been deactivated) and the fact that I already had a Wally (actually, more than one Wally at the time) did not cause any problem.

FredinUP, whichever receiver you end up using, make sure that you register your Dish account at mydish.com (if you have not done so already) and also make sure that your account is flagged as a Dish Outdoor account. This makes activating and deactivating purchased receivers so much easier, since you can simply log into your account online to make the equipment changes yourself, without needing to call or chat with anyone.

Interesting. I did not know that you could have a VIP222 with any Hopper.
It has been a couple of years, but there was another thread here posted by someone else who was able to convince Dish to let him continue to use a ViP222k with his Hopper 3. Here is the link: ViP222K removed from my account after Hopper 3 purchase

Update!

I re-connected my ViP222k, then called Dish to add it back to my active receiver list. While I was waiting on hold for them to answer, I was watching TV on it. It was still activated because I had it disconnected when they sent the deactivation sequence for that receiver ID. The guy asked for my receiver number, so I read it off to him. While he was working on that, I continued to watch TV. He came back on the phone and said he could not turn it back on, that it was incompatible with my Hopper 3 package. I laughed. He asked what was funny, and I told him I was watching it right now, and it was connected to the dish for my Hopper 3 with the Hybrid LNBF!

He started arguing with me about it not being able to work, and I told him it was not connected along with my Hopper 3, it was connected in place of my Hopper 3. All you do is run a switch check and it will recognize the Hybrid LNBF as an HE.2 on both ports. I told him, I know it works, and you know it works, so now connect me to a supervisor, or I will be dropping the Hopper 3 and going back to my ViP222k by itself. In less than 2 minutes, he came back and told me it was reactivated and it would add $7/mo to my bill. LOL

It will not work on the same dish system with the Hopper 3 connected, but it will work solo on that dish. I went ahead and bought a new 1000.2 Eastern Arc dish package that I will set up for the Hopper 3, and I'll resume the use of my original 1000.4 Eastern Arc dish for my ViP222k.

Bob

I'll debunk that. I currently have a ViP222k, a Hopper Duo, a Wally, and a ViP211k on my account. (I only keep one or two of those receivers activated at the same time, though.) My ViP222k is activated full-time, and I can add and remove any of the other receivers at will. All of my receivers are purchased, if that makes a difference. I recently added a ViP211k to this account (replacing another ViP211k that had long since been deactivated) and the fact that I already had a Wally (actually, more than one Wally at the time) did not cause any problem.

Here is my situation - I have two VIP211k's. If one of them dies, I could add a Wally to replace the one that dies - I wouldn't have to replace both with Wally's or get a Hopper? Is that what you think based off of your experience with receivers?

Reactions: pattykay
I had my 622 and My hopper on the same account I turned off the 622 to save money I did call in to reactivate it and was told that they weren’t supposed to let me put the 622 on the same account I said please add it I own it. No problem. The hopper was the main receiver listed so the 622 was costing more than a Joey would.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: pattykay
Here is my situation - I have two VIP211k's. If one of them dies, I could add a Wally to replace the one that dies - I wouldn't have to replace both with Wally's or get a Hopper? Is that what you think based off of your experience with receivers?
That is correct. If you really don't want to switch to a Wally, though, then I could send you another ViP211k, so you would have it as a spare. I already did that for another member not very long ago. My spare ViP211k's were just taking up space in my closet, not being used, so it is nice to see that someone may be able to actually get some use from them.

Reactions: TheKrell
I had my 622 and My hopper on the same account I turned off the 622 to save money I did call in to reactivate it and was told that they weren’t supposed to let me put the 622 on the same account I said please add it I own it. No problem. The hopper was the main receiver listed so the 622 was costing more than a Joey would.
Yeah, the receiver fees are really the main problem with these weird (normally not allowed) receiver combinations on the same account. Having two purchased Hopper Duos on the same account is another example. The DVR fee is great, being only $10 compared to $15 for any other Hopper or (non-grandfathered) ViP DVR. However, the additional receiver fee for the second Hopper Duo is $15, the same as the fee for any other additional Hopper model (in the combinations where that is allowed, such as two HWS or two H3's). So, this makes the second Hopper Duo cost more per month than the first one does, even though the DVR fee already applies to both DVR's on the account.