VIP 612 loses place in shows

pretzelboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
I can't seem to find other threads on this particular thing so here's my attempt. I have a 5 month old VIP 612 DVR that frequently loses its place in shows. I will be watching a show and exit out of it to come back later only to find that the play position has reset back to the beginning. This is probably happening 4 times a week now.

Is this a quirk of the DVR or a defect that needs to be addressed with an exchange?

Any help is appreciated.

If this is happening (you exit) while the show is recording it is normal operation.

I rarely watch something that is in the process of recording. Every instance of this is for something already recorded to the 612.

My 722 HATES skipping back and forth inside a standard-def recording. Never misses a beat with high-def stuff, but if I'm watching Top Gear on BBC America, and I try to skip commercials, overshoot, and try to back up one step, it often goes back to the beginning of the recording. Same thing for The Soup (E!) or anything from Discovery Health. Again, not a problem for anything that came from an HD feed, just SD stuff.

Once BBC America HD and the Comcast channels come online in HD, I'm pretty sure this will never be a problem again, either...

If you are referring to this happening while watching and recording at the same time, yes, if you are watching a pre recorded program and stop and come back to it later , no

Bob

Apparently I'm still not making myself clear. Here it goes again...

Watching a prerecorded program. I stop watching during the program and move on to something else (live or another prerecorded program)

When I return to the original prerecorded program the play location has reset back to the beginning but only some of the time. As I said, it's happening approximately 4 times a week now. It previously happened on a much less frequent basis.

Apparently I'm still not making myself clear. Here it goes again...

Watching a prerecorded program. I stop watching during the program and move on to something else (live or another prerecorded program)

When I return to the original prerecorded program the play location has reset back to the beginning but only some of the time. As I said, it's happening approximately 4 times a week now. It previously happened on a much less frequent basis.

This happens to me quite a bit when I am watching stuff off of the external hard drive.

Don't think it has ever happened with the unit itself though (722).

Mine has been a mix of external and internal.

It's not consistent so I can't tell if this is some kind of software quirk or there is something more significant going on.