VIP 622 in Bethel, AK

MrLimo

Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
Bethel, AK
OK so my wife got a job in Alaska that she could not refuse. I hate the DVR and channel selection of the local Cable Company. I want my Dish Network DVR back!

Only thing good about being this far North is that the dish is very close to being verticle and the snow so far has not stuck to either of them.

OK so I have a Vip 622 connected to a DPP44 and then two Dish Pro Twin LNB's. In the lower 48 I used an 18" Dish 500 to feed 110 & 119 and a 2nd 24" to feed 129.

24"/60Cm Pointed to 110 (8.9 Elevation)
Transponders, 17,18,19,20 & 21 I get the following signal strengths 36,0,34,35 No Name and 41 It actually works and I have watched HBO without issues so far.

1.2M Channel Master (12.5 Elevation) original round yolk LNB removed and a dish Network Twin LNB fitted into the existing Plastic housing and placed with the White plastic cap approximately where the unknown LNB stuck out from the yolk.

Transponders, 17,18,19,20 & 21 I get the following signal strengths 34,30,42,28 & 36.

Problem is I can watch HBO all day but I'm having trouble getting my Lower 48 Locals. I have called Dish Network and canceled my HD. I have a 2nd receiver on the account and that receiver gets the locals all off of a single Dish 500 Pro Plus LNB (in the lower 48).

I think I wasted money for a pair of "LNB" amps because I see no difference when they are plugged in line or simply bypassed.

So todays stupid questions are?

#1 With the CM120 1.2M Dish is there some rule of thumb as to how far the white plastic cap should be from the back of the dish? Or should I loosen the screws and simply slide it in and out while watching my pointer meter?

#2 With circular polarization will it help if I rotate the LNB? I have the the skew would be -20.8 & -23.7 degrees?

#3 Is there some sort of "High Performance" LNB that will feed my DPP44? At the moment I only need to feed a single Vip 622 and I doubt that will change any time soon.

#4 Is there an inline amp that will boost received signal strength? Or are they simply to overcome long cable runs?

#5 I tried to point the 1.2M at 129 (15.8 Elevation) and I think I found it but I could not get it to identify it's self. Is 129 a pipe dream in Western Alaska? I'm 400 miles due West of Anchorage and 400 Miles south of the Arctic Circle and as the raven fly's 430 miles NW to Russia!

And I'm sorta playing around at the moment. I do realize that I'm more than likely going to need to replace the 24" dish with a 2nd 1.2M. They put in cable in my sub division and there are plenty of un-used 1.2's in the area.

And Dish Networks tech support says that if I do a check switch at or below 50 on the signal strength I run the risk of loosing additional channels.

Tip's & tricks are appreciated. And does anyone have a satellite/transponder list for the Local Portland, OR stations.
2 KATU
6 KOIN
8 KGW
10 KOPB
12 KPTV
16 KUNP
22 KPXG
32 KRCW
49 KPDX

I'll try to help. I am East of you in northern Canada.

The locals you are looking for are on a spotbeam so you won't get them where you are now. Sat 110, transponder 27, spotbeam 44.
check out this site for a list of what is where. 129 is hard to get but you are in luck becuase they just put up a new sat for 129 that just arrived there. Testing will go on for a bit fist though. Search on the forums for "ceil 2"

I use 1 meter dishes with legecy lnbs since the bigger dishes aren't really designed for those dpp lnbs. I don't get all the conus transponder but most come in for me.

You should be fine with 1 or 1.2 meter dishes with legacy or dish pro stuff. I actually get a little better signal with dish pro. I am not as far north as you but know many people in Anchorage and Palmer with the above dishes--a smaller dish with actually work for 110 now. 119&110 are the birds your looking for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)