Vip 622 problem connecting to a/v receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jsquilts

Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
Southwest Colorado
I connected my Dish Vip 622 DVR via HDMI to a new Yamaha a/v receiver, then by HDMI to a Samsung TV but no audio or video signals reach the TV. When the Dish box is connected directly to the TV everything works fine. I have tried 3 different a/v receivers, 2 Yamaha & 1 Onkyo, and verified the cables are good. I have talked to techs at Yamaha, Samsung and Dish and no-one has been able to help. Is it possible that there may be some settings that need to be changed in the Dish receiver or can anyone come up with other suggestions? I have been working on this for 2 weeks and could really use some help.

have you tried to hook up a/v cables from the Dish reciever to your A/V box just for sound. Or is there a input sections on your surround sound box? That is what I would do

Yesterday my son, who is an electrical engineerr, was looking at our connections of the 622 to our Samsung TV and could not get the HDMI option to even appear on the setup even though we have a HDMI cable in place. Everything works when we use Component cabling and he is sure that the problem is a defect in the 622. He indicated that while everything is working via our Onkyo AV including all sound features, because the HDMI feature is not operational we are not getting the quality of picture by using component cabling instead of HDMI. He said that I should call Dish and request a replacement 622.

The question I have is whether Dish has new replacement 622's?

He indicated that while everything is working via our Onkyo AV including all sound features, because the HDMI feature is not operational we are not getting the quality of picture by using component cabling instead of HDMI.

The majority of users here do not consider component to be of any lesser PQ than HDMI.

I have tried using component cables from the Dish to the a/v receiver to the tv but still no signal. The TV has only 1 HDMI input and none out, the a/v receiver has 6 in and one out to the TV. I just got Apple TV which is HDMI only and really need the receiver in order to connect various components by HDMI to the TV. At this point I am thinking the Dish settings may be the problem but I don't know enough about them.

Have you tried hooking each of your HDMI cables directly from the Dish receiver to the TV to be sure it is not a cable. Other than that it has to be the settings on your av receiver are incorrect.

Have you tried hooking each of your HDMI cables directly from the Dish receiver to the TV to be sure it is not a cable. Other than that it has to be the settings on your av receiver are incorrect.

Yes, the HDMI connection from Dish box to the TV works great. It's only when you add the a/v receiver in between that the signal fails to reach the TV. I have tried all the HDMI inputs on the a/v and carefully selected the correct one on the receiver - no signal. The cables are good, they work when Dish goes directly to the TV. I have spent literally hours on the phone with various technicians and everyone blames it on a different piece of equipment but no-one has been able to determine why this problem is occurring. By the way, when it is connected through the a/v receiver I get audio on the receiver but not on the TV.

Keep focusing on your AV receiver. A can get to C, but not through B. Nearly all previous threads on this subject have revealed correcting settings on the receiver.

Keep focusing on your AV receiver. A can get to C, but not through B. Nearly all previous threads on this subject have revealed correcting settings on the receiver.

After trying 3 different receivers and ensuring that the connections and settings are correct, I am at my wit's end. This should be easy - you connect the HDMI cables to the correct in/outputs, select the correct one on the a/v receiver and voila! I have purchased all 3 receivers from Crutchfield and have spoken at length to the head of their technical support department. We tried everything he could think of with no solution.

Yes, the HDMI connection from Dish box to the TV works great. It's only when you add the a/v receiver in between that the signal fails to reach the TV. I have tried all the HDMI inputs on the a/v and carefully selected the correct one on the receiver - no signal. The cables are good, they work when Dish goes directly to the TV. I have spent literally hours on the phone with various technicians and everyone blames it on a different piece of equipment but no-one has been able to determine why this problem is occurring. By the way, when it is connected through the a/v receiver I get audio on the receiver but not on the TV.
I think you may have an assignment issue in the Yamaha. You will NOT see signal unless you go Manual Setup, Input Menu, then go to each individual unit and change the I/O ASSIGNMENT. Once you have gotten there you will need to go to HDMI IN and make sure that the input you want for that device is set and shows as being used by that input. I have no problems watching my 722k thru a Yamaha and you shouldn't have any problem w/a 622. BTW you boy is incorrect in his statement about HDMI vs component. The only difference tween the HDMI & the component is one is analog HD & the other is digital HD. Both carry the same PQ pretty much. Oh BTW the manual setup is what you HAVE TO DO as the auto setup will never see the HDMI for the Yamaha. I have a Yamaha & have had different ones over the years and this has always been that way. The HDMI's Are not set up from factory, you have to do it.

whatchel1...thank you for the information, I will give that a try! Will be away for a couple days (my husband is having minor surgery) but will work on this when we return home. We live in the boonies so health issues require distance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts