VIP 622 Question (yes, really)

alphageek

Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Virginia
I have a VIP 622 that the HDMI never worked on. I used HD component video and was happy for many years.

Recently, the component video stopped working. I can still watch the standard output, but I want to get another box. A chat with Dish revealed that all I can get is the new Hopper etc. It is really overkill for me. I just have one television, and the dish VIP 622 works great. Oh, and the cost per month goes up with a contract too.

What I want is just another simple box like I have.

Is there any way to get another VIP 622 or something similar?

Is there any way to fix my current 622? I can use a soldering iron.

I have a VIP 622 that the HDMI never worked on. I used HD component video and was happy for many years.

Recently, the component video stopped working. I can still watch the standard output, but I want to get another box. A chat with Dish revealed that all I can get is the new Hopper etc. It is really overkill for me. I just have one television, and the dish VIP 622 works great. Oh, and the cost per month goes up with a contract too.

Tell them if you can't have a 622 then to give you a 722K. It's almost the same as a 622.

I kind of remember the HDMI ports being really sensitive on these, if you flexed the cable too much you'd break the solder connections and render the port unusable. Dish should be able to enroll you in the protection plan and send you a replacement ViP receiver.

My parents are still using a 622 I installed back in 2007, it's a real workhorse. They want to keep theirs because it does everything they want and couldn't be more stable.

Yes, you’re late. The ViP622 is known for HDMI physical connector problems. Frankly, you should have complained and replaced it long ago, as they fixed that for later models. That’s what I did.

But I moved to a ViP722. Actually, two of them.

PRAY they don’t have a ViP622 to send to you.

And you should be aware, ALL the ViP series receivers are not long for this world. They are old. Aged. No more s/w improvements, just bug fixes, if them.

All ViPs have old HDDs. These things have a limited life.

You really should move on to a Hooper 3. This is the current model. The Hooper 1 and 2 have problems, since Dish saw fit to inflict the CUI Carbon User Interface on them. Even the H3 has problems, IF you have two of them.

The ViP series is slowly being withdrawn from service. You might well get a ViP722 series box. But you’d be ahead to move to the H3 and get many years of service before replacing the box again.

And DON’T accept a Hooper Duo. These seem to be using old ViP722 HDDs. Limited lifespan.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Go with the hopper, VIP receivers is getting more difficult to activate, few days ago I tried to reactivate an account with a VIP211, wouldn't go through, they said it's obsolete, each time I tried

You could purchase a ViP612. It is just like the ViP622, except it is designed for only one TV, instead of being a Duo like the ViP622. If you purchase the replacement, there would be no contract, and no increase in the monthly price. I have a purchased ViP612 that I am not using, if you are interested.

One other quick note if you use OTA on your 622. The 722 still has built-in OTA like the 622; however, the 722K requires an additional, separate OTA module.

Reactions: TheKrell
One other quick note if you use OTA on your 622. The 722 still has built-in OTA like the 622; however, the 722K requires an additional, separate OTA module.
Yes, that is another reason why I recommended the ViP612. It also has a built-in OTA tuner, and there is no risk of getting the ViP612 mixed up with a "K" model that would need a module.

Thanks all.

It looks like I will try to get another box without the Hopper etc. route. I am thinking I may not even have cable/satellite/ service in a year or two. I just need HD outputs on something that works. I guess I will go the used route.

Thanks again,

Neil

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)