VIP 722 video jitters / dropped frames -Help!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

N6BY

Geek
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Roseville, CA 121W
I have a Vip 722 with L618 software in single mode.

I watch Fox Business HD a lot. I'm seeing frequent video jitters, and its especially noticeable in the scrolling text. Its goes smoothly for a bit, then it pauses briefly and skips. Its doing this at a frequency which varies from several times per second to once or twice a minute. Sometimes its un-watchable.

I called Tech Support about this last week and they had me check the System Info and press the 'Details' button. I read them the numbers after Value 0 through Value 9, which somehow indicate the health of the hard drive. They said my numbers indicated a bad hard drive and sent me a new receiver.

So I installed the replacement receiver last night and unfortunately I'm seeing the same problem -- and its worse than my original receiver. Plus it cost me $16.18 in shipping and tax for the replacement.

Is this a known software problem? is anyone else having this problem or know of a solution?

Are you possibly using an older HDMI cable that you may have used earlier?

This can happen on HD because the 722(s) need an HDMI 1.3 cable for HD and 1.3b if you happen to get a VOD 1080p. Older HDMI cables were rated at 75Mhz, the 1.3b standard is at 150mhz which is what is needed for a 1080p or higher resolution.

Are you possibly using an older HDMI cable that you may have used earlier?

This can happen on HD because the 722(s) need an HDMI 1.3 cable for HD and 1.3b if you happen to get a VOD 1080p. Older HDMI cables were rated at 75Mhz, the 1.3b standard is at 150mhz which is what is needed for a 1080p or higher resolution.

I used the same HDMI cable for both VIP 722s, and I don't know what version it is. I don't have the original packaging -- is there a way to check by looking at the cable?

After my original post here, I realized that I had forgotten to go into the System Menu and change HDTV Preferences. The replacement receiver was set by default to 480i and I changed it to 1080i like my original 722. After doing that, the problem disappeared for now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, the video jitter on my original 722 was very different than the new 722. It had random, and very short duration video jitters.

The new 722 had jitters that lasted a few seconds at a time. But now that its set to 1080i its all good, so it may have been a synchronization issue.

It is probably a heat issue. My 722 used to do that when it was housed in an AV stand with an exhaust fan. It has since been moved to a stand alone area, perched on tall plastic bottle caps (1.75) to aid airflow around the entire unit. It no longer stutters.

Others have suggested placing the unit on cheap laptop coolers connected to USB port. Somewhere on this site is directions for attaching an external fan that blows air in to the air intake (right side). There is even directions for cutting a hole in the top and installing an exhaust fan.

The 722 suffers a major design flaw. The power intensive graphic processor sits directly above the hard drive. The only thing in the box that gets hotter than the hard drive is the graphic processor. That is why it so prone to over heating.

This happens to me on the ESPNs. Mostly during the commercials, but at various non-commercial times as well. It's really annoying. Oddly, it only happens on my 722 -- my 622 is just fine.

The replacement 722 still has video jitters / skips. :-(

It is probably a heat issue. My 722 used to do that when it was housed in an AV stand with an exhaust fan. It has since been moved to a stand alone area, perched on tall plastic bottle caps (1.75) to aid airflow around the entire unit. It no longer stutters. ...

My replacement ViP722 has the same problem as the original. :(

I tried replacing the HDMI cable and it didn't make any difference.

kvnfl, thanks for the suggestions about keeping it cooler. This makes sense now that I think about it, because the problem has become worse during the hottest part of the summer here. I will try adding a cooling fan.

This happens to me on the ESPNs. Mostly during the commercials, but at various non-commercial times as well. It's really annoying. Oddly, it only happens on my 722 -- my 622 is just fine.
Agreed, I used to have a 622 and never saw this problem.

So far I'm seeing this problem only on HD channels. In addition to Fox Business, CNBC HD has the same problem. Probably most of the other HD channels too -- I mostly just notice it if there is a scrolling banner.

My 622s have done this about once a week for quite some time. Usually turning the receiver off and back on fixes it. Acts like some background process is using too much processor time.

Update

... It has since been moved to a stand alone area, perched on tall plastic bottle caps (1.75) to aid airflow around the entire unit. It no longer stutters.

I placed it on bottle caps so it has much more bottom clearance. Plus I now have a small portable fan blowing air into the intake side of the 722. I'm still seeing the video stutter, but its much less frequent.

Problem is getting worse again

What is the High Avg Low tempeture on this machine?

Earlier I had thought that the problem had mostly been cured, but now it is back with a vengeance -- the video stuttering is frequent and, at times, makes TV unwatchable.

The HDD temps are as follows:
High: 138F
Avg: 111F
Low: 89F.

We have a 722 and just noticed the same problem on recorded programs last night. Programs were In Plain Sight recorded Sunday night and Saving Grace from 6 weeks ago. What's strange is that the ABC Space program that was recorded Sunday night after In plain sight didn't have the problem. So far my 722 has been rock solid for more than 18 months so I hope this isn't signs of a hardware problem.

I'll post if the problems continue.

I was having similar problems with my brand new 722k. I've found that it was definitely heat related. The problem started after I had put the receiver in a cabinet. Everything became blurry. Live tv was blurry. Previously recorded programs that were fine before now had blurs. Then I hooked up some fans from my old setup and now, there is minimal blurring on live tv and programs recorded previous to the blurriness. However, programs recorded during the hot phase are still blurry. Luckily, I'm a new customer and have the free replacement program, so my new dvr should be coming soon.

My temps were 140 / 123 / 104. They still haven't dropped yet with the fans, but performance is better. I've read a lot of the temperature thread, but its rediculously long. Can anyone give me consice advise to cooling? Where should I place my fans for the best results?

I'm using the thermaltake usb fans. Also, fyi, i hooked up a usb hub to the dvr and two fans are drawing power from it. I might buy two more fans.

I haven't had any problems since Monday evening, but after reading everyone's posts I checked my VIP 722 temps and found 138 high, 114 low and 129 average. Hard to figure out why they are so high. The house temp is set at 78 and rarely exceeds that. The DVR is in a home made cabinet that is open on two sides - front and left side - and has about 8 inches clearance above it, so I am not sure what can be done to cool it down.

Question - does the temp counters ever reset or do they carry the highest and lowest for the life of the receiver? Is there a way they can be reset?

I've had what I think is the same issue for about 2 weeks. Sometimes when I fast forward or skip ahead, picture will be very jumpy or freeze for 10-15 seconds. It locks up like an overloaded computer would with a fragmented hard drive. I did not notice anything like this prior to 2 weeks ago and now it's consistent. Box is not housed and is in the open. Don't think overheating has anything to do with this. Was there a software update recently? I'm suspecting something more along those lines. Anyone else seeing this issue????

I just started having the same issue tonight - but only on the HD channels. A soft reboot fixed the problem - for now. I'm using component so I know it's not an HDMI issue

I also checked the same channel on my 211 and it was working fine.

I do have the new L622 software. I'm praying this is not a bug.

Its not the HDMI cable

Earlier in this thread someone suggested the possibility of correcting this problem with a better HDMI cable.

After switching HDMI cables and noticing no change in the frequency of video jitters, I decided to try the following test to help isolate the problem:

I had my 722 simultaneously connected to 2 TVs, one through the HDMI output and one through the S-Video output.

Both TVs showed the same jitter at the exact same times. I tested this with channels that have scrolling banners. So I have ruled out the cable and the TV as possible causes.

This problem could be heat related, but I think its more likely to be a software issue. I have noticed that unplugging the 722 for about 30 seconds and then plugging it back in makes the problem go away for a while. This resets the software and clears all the buffers.

But using an external fan aimed at the air intake does not seem to affect it. The jitters still occur but the 722 feels much cooler to the touch, so I know the fan is dramatically lowering the temperature.

Problem solved!

I know that this is an old thread, but I want to post the solution to this problem to help anyone else experiencing this issue.

I did a 'System Info' (menu, 6,1,3) and it reported 'LNB Drift Detected on 129' of -6 to -8. (I have a DPP Twin for 110/119 and a wing dish for 129).

So last week I got a new LNB for the 129 wing dish and it completely solved the problem!

No more video jitters or dropped frames!

For a long time I had assumed that this was a software problem. But that didn't make sense because if it was software and everyone had the same problem, then there would have been many complaints. Also the jittering video only happened on channels from the 129 satellite, like Fox Business HD which I watch a lot.

Anyway, I hope this info helps others who have video stutter due to a bad LNB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)