This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

vip 722 with dish 1000.2 and dish 500

krazyballa9

Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
orange county
I need help aligning my dish and need to know if my set up is correct.

My dish 1000.2 is receiving 129, 119, and 110.

I am receiving poor signal strength on 129 (about 45 on most transponders) and causes some of my hd channels to not display and some channels occasionally get scrambled.

Therefore i want to add a dish 500 dedicated to satellite 129. I have a single dish pro lnb attached to the 119 bracket or prong of the dish 500. The wire from the dish pro lnb is connected to the lnb in of the dish 1000.2 lnb.

I have independently ran the wire from the single dish pro lnb to a switch (the switch that connects to receiver satellite input and tv2. this is just for testing the strength of the 129. i am unable to get any signal for 129. i have changed the elevation from 45 to 55 by 1 pt and my skew is set at 85. i have tried the same thing with my skew at 90.

my zipcode is 92807.

I would like some helpful advice.

Cover with foil the 129 lnb on the 1000.2, then run a coax from the 500 over to the extra input on the 1000.2. That should be all that you need to do.

Okay i was planning to do something like that, so all i am missing is acquiring the signal on the second satellite?

I disconnected the 1000.2 on the switch and only connected the dish 500 (aka single lnb) and i was trying to acquire 129 but wasn't able to do so.

Does this mean i just have to work hard to find the signal in the sky?

I am not sure if my elevation at 48-51 is correct, i am also not sure if setting the skew at 85 and 90 are correct. Can someone verify this for me?

What else could i be missing?

Last edited:
Skew should be 90 or no "offset". Did you say D500 went through a switch first? Try going from D500 direct to receiver. Rerun switch test. Elevation listed as 48.8 @ dishpointer. 129 is hard to get where I am. Took me 2 hrs. But finally got it. Later switched to EA.

The first thing that needs to be done is to clear the switch matrix (important) by unplugging the sat coax from the receiver, and running a check switch.
  1. D500 Skew 90, Elevation 50.1, and Azimuth = just west of due south
  2. Since you already have a coax directly to your switch, dial 129 on the 500 using that method. Once you get 129 at peak SS, disconnect the coax from switch and receiver and clear the matrix once again.
  3. Then, if your 1000.2 is already peaked, attach a coax from the 500 to the in port on the 1000.2. Make sure that you have the 129 LNB on the 1000.2 covered with foil.
  4. Run check switch again and you should be good to go.
Most don't realise the importance of clearing the switch matrix.
Most folks in CA get very good signals from 129 using a 1000.2, so peaking the 1000.2 might produce good results.

EDIT: Dish97 has the correct EL @ 48.8

Last edited:

what is the significance removing the sat coax from the receiver? i am not sure if i understand this part which obviously seems to be the most important.

I have tv2 coax going to another room. should i disconnect all that and connect directly to tuner 1 of the receiver? aka nothing in between the dish 500 and the receiver?

Don't worry about tv2 out coax. Removing coax from recvr and running "check switch"
should be first step. This is done in order to clear switch matrix. Refer to dahenny's post. A SS of 45 should suffice.(your original post) Make sure connection are secure and double check your coax. Should be rated no less than 2150 MHZ. Early on I tried to set up recvr in spare bedroom. Only got half the channels. The existing coax did not measure up. Swapped out with proper RG 6. Instantly got all channels.
Hoped we've helped.
Good Luck!

Why

You had plenty of signal at 45 why are you doing this. In fact if you felt that was to weak why didn't you just try tweaking the 1000.2 dish to get a bit more signal on it.

Thanks for the help... the elevation was incorrect... i think it is my install (mainly the roof its on) My elevation was corrected to about 56 or something... i am able to only get in the 50s and 60s... low 60s. I guess it was unnecessary but in the end i am satisfied with this. i appreciate the help.