VIP211- Buy = Activate Now?

ggw2000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
Out here somewhere
Can a purchased 211 be activated on a existing account now, or do you have to wait until 2/1?
I am also assuming it is a mpeg2/4 receiver and if purchased will NOT screw up "existing customer promo" on the one upgrade per year that is being currently offered on April 1st? I have a 921 & 501 currently and plan on upgrading my 921 later on. Thanks, Gerry
ps: Scott- when is the Dishstore going to have 211 receivers?

Your 211 can be activated now with the current programming. I have a 411 (211 without ethernet). No interest in ethernet for my bedroom. On Feb. 1 you just need to change your programming to the DishHD packege (platinum, gold, etc.) I'm waiting to upgrade my 942.

It should NOT mess up your promo as these apply to leased receivers. They applaud you for pruchasing. More dinero for them.

So if I activate a 211 now, will I get HD Locals for ABC, FOX and NBC when they become available on 2/1/06. Since I already get Los Angeles locals, I will containing to get them in HD without having to pay the extra 10 bucks a month for the new HD Package.

CivicOnBoostEK said:
there has been quite a few dishin it up upgrades where people are activating 211's.. I guess that warehous must be out of 811's.
I was told that there are multiple warehouses; only some are out of 811's. So customers get different receivers depending on where they live.

After MANY phone calls to CSR's, none of which had a single clue about anything about MPEG2/4, and trying to actually SELL me a 942 for $700 + $100 install/activate, they knew they had reached a very informed consumer...thanks in TOTAL to this forum, they FINALLY agreed to send me an 811 for $50 and I send back a 301 to them.

Well, the UPS truck got here today (6 day wait to get it) and opened up. IT'S a 211, which on the front clearly states MPEG4 receiver!:up :up

Now completly confused, I called TECH and that was the nicest guy I have spoken to yet at E*. He says the 211 is far superior to the 811 and will tide me over until I can get a 622. Very helpful and detailed instruction on how to save $$$ and rotate one of my 2 dishes around from 148 to 61.5 for Voom and ESPN2HD, as well as Universal HD, so I can be set to go for Olympic coverage!

As much as I yelled and screamed at the top of my lungs at these idiot CSR's over the last 2 weeks, I have to say I am VERY pleased with the outcome (so far).

Now I just need to get it hooked up and tweak it.

BTW - it does NOT come with HDMI cable but does have a 'port' for HDTV digital out (looks like HDMI connector/will need adapter.

Now, if I can find someway to get in on the first releases of the 622, I will be a happy camper!

ggw2000 said:
Can a purchased 211 be activated on a existing account now, or do you have to wait until 2/1?
I am also assuming it is a mpeg2/4 receiver and if purchased will NOT screw up "existing customer promo" on the one upgrade per year that is being currently offered on April 1st? I have a 921 & 501 currently and plan on upgrading my 921 later on. Thanks, Gerry
ps: Scott- when is the Dishstore going to have 211 receivers?

We got 411's right now. Echostar is telling us they will not have any 211's available for sale until they go through their inventory of 411's first

I got a 211 shipped to me... I had asked for a 311 to be upgraded to 811, and had not realized that 211s were shipping.

To answer the questions above:

(1) It does have an HDMI socket and not DVI socket (unlike 811), HDMI cable is not included, neither was DVI cable with 811
(2) Component cable is included.

211 Availability

Claude Greiner said:
We got 411's right now. Echostar is telling us they will not have any 211's available for sale until they go through their inventory of 411's first
I think Echostar is pulling something on ya here:rolleyes: . Dishdepot has the 211 in stock :eek: ....

gdarwin said:
Are component cables included? Expecting mine any day now.

Got my 211 a week ago last thursday and "no" it doesn't come with component cables. Only included standard RCA, a phone cord, and a short coax. Had to provide my own component as the HDMI jack is hooked to my DVD player.

Question regarding component cables, does it matter if they are 3-6-9' or is the shorter better. It would seem that the shortest would be the best but the set I currently have is 9'.

SeanK97 said:
Got my 211 a week ago last thursday and "no" it doesn't come with component cables. Only included standard RCA, a phone cord, and a short coax. Had to provide my own component as the HDMI jack is hooked to my DVD player.

Got mine last night. Component cables were included.

I think it depends who loads the box. My 942 did not have the separator, father in laws did...

Just looked at my packaging... The component was separate from phone, rca, etc.

Yep, I can believe that cause my 811 and 921 came with DVI cables while others who got those receivers did not get a DVI cable..

I am receiving mine tomorrow, I'll let you guys know if I have component cables included or not. Knowing my luck, no component cables will be in the box.

Superstations Setup - Please Read

Who does DISH think they are!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)