ViP211K on ebay warranty

mrschwarz

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 17, 2004
I am looking at a brand new 211k on ebay. I checked with Dish and it has never been associated with an account and the rep said to purchase it. She also said that it would not be covered under warranty. I doubt that the seller offers one either. If something goes wrong with it, what is my recourse?

yep. dish called me to get the info of where my receiver was purchased from to add to the warranty information.

I have had Dish tell me that a receiver had a clear balance and could be activated. When I got it they told me it had a clear balance but could not be activated. I finally figured out why after they said they didn't know why. They told me that the account was too old to transfer it (they could not find the account it was on to do the transfer). I guess once an account gets so old they delete it? It was a legacy receiver.

I have had Dish tell me that a receiver had a clear balance and could be activated. When I got it they told me it had a clear balance but could not be activated. I finally figured out why after they said they didn't know why. They told me that the account was too old to transfer it (they could not find the account it was on to do the transfer). I guess once an account gets so old they delete it? It was a legacy receiver.

They can still be transferred, just not by a CSR (no, not even by the magical CSRs). You got a nice lazy one that didn't want to send out an e-mail for help; but it is possible to move those elsewhere depending on the unit's circumstances.

I have bought all of my receivers on ebay. They were all bran new sealed. Could not tell you if they were stolen, but don't really care either. In todays economy saving 30 or 50 bucks per receiver works for me. I have had my 622 replaced with no questions asked, free. You don't have to tell the csr's where you got it, tell them you bought it off somebody. Come to think of it, no one from dish ever aske me where I got mine. You did the right thing by checking the ro and smart card #'s. I would go thru paypal as they have there new policy where they don't release funds to the seller until you leave pos. feedback, or they receive shipment conf. I have not found any retailer to beat the price on ebay.

Generally anything below what we are selling it for on Dishstore is stolen Merchandise. My margins are so thin on some of these receivers that if I went on ebay, the listing and paypal fees would eat up any profit left in the sale and I would be at a loss.

But if you can save $50 going through Ebay, in todays economy thats great. Granted alot of people don't care if the merchandise they are buying off ebay is stolen, and if your dealing with a seller who deals in stolen merchandise you run a higher chance of not receiving your item.

As the paypal protection, I have gotten burned as both a buyer and as a seller. As a seller the best you can do is ship to a confirmed address and get a signature, as a buyer you should fund the transaction with a credit card. If you don't get the item, screw going through Paypals buyer protection policy, call your credit card company and dispute the charge.

As far as used equipment, with DISH Networks new customer privacy policy its harder than ever to get them to transfer it from one account to the other. You will literally need to do a 3-way call with both account holders to transfer the equipment from one account to the other.

When did they put a new policy in place for dish to where it is harder to transfer used equipment? I gave a buddy of mine a 322 and a 311 about a month ago and he had no problem activating it. I didn't even have to call in. It was on my account, just not active. He told them he had gotten them from me and they activated them.

Anyone have any experience with SquareTrade extended warranties?

I have sold receivers on ebay before and was surprised that that a noticable number of customers would buy the square trade warranty.

Its not worth the money, because more than likely Dish will replace it under warranty, or you can get the extended warranty from Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts