VIP222 Remote interference from CFL lighting

broyalty

Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Central Ky
I have been experiencing intermittent problems with my IR remote controlling my set one on a Dish Network VIP222k. After changing batteries and setting the remote #2 to IR mode and experiencing the same problems I was about to become convinced that my receiver box was bad. I later determined that my recently added CFL lighting - was interfering with the remote transmission. I changed the bulbs to GE Daylight bulbs and my remote is working again. The CFL bulbs that were interfering were Bright Effects L23TM(E) 23W bulbs. I post this hoping that if someone else experiences the same problem maybe they won't have to experience the frustrating week of troubleshooting that I have just experienced.

Well I thought the problem was solved but when I tried the remote this morning I found that I still have problems. I now believe that the Philips 42 inch LCD tv is causing the interference. I can turn off the TV and make changes to the Satellite box and it works. I actually changed the lighting in the room by turning on another light and the remote started working. I have tried moving the satellite receiver box away from the TV with and still had problems.

Last edited:
you may want to move this over to the dish network forum as this is the Directv forum and will probably get better responses there.;) and by the way, WELCOME!:cool:

Looks like after the tv has time to warm up my remote starts working. I read some other discussions indicating that their tv must be emitting a high level of rf on warm-up. Still trying to figure out a fix for the problem.

There should be a dynamic contrast option on the TV, turn it off. Ran into quite a few of these recently.

Another option is to turn down the brightness on the TV.

I had a similar problem with a 222K receiver. It was solved when Dish support sent me another 21.0 IR/UHF remote. I set it up to control TV1 via UHF. This eliminated the IR interference issues I was having with IR control of TV1.

CFL's can definitely cause IR interference. Some have had success shielding the IR sensor on the equipment, but that can also diminish the field in which the remote works. Shading the CFL bulbs also helps. Experimenting with different CFL bulbs will often find a combination that works (I have found it to be specifically "bulb related" as sometimes the same model bulb from the same manufacturer will work).

You could also switch to UHF-based remotes if the equipment supports it.

If this is a real problem, the best bet is to get rid of the CFL bulbs that are near the TV.

vip 722 remote

Is there away to make your tv1 uhf also? the tech that installed mine said there was and ordered me a 2nd uhf remote. I rec'd the remote but don't know how to change it where TV1 works off of uhf as well as tv 2? Any help would be great. Thanks. I don't want this in single mode. I like it in Dual and was told it could but didn't know how to make this happen

Verify that the remote the tech sent you is a 21.0 IR/UHF remote. If so remove the tab thats says TV2 and turn it over and reinsert it so that the 1 shows. Make sure the IR-UHF switch in the battery compartment is in the UHF position. look at page 14 in the Remote control user guide that should have come with the remote. Bring up the "System Information" screen. Press record and verify that TV1 is set for IR/UHF. I think that you could also use the "System Wizard" button to mate the remote and the receiver.

My latest fix was to turn the Dish receiver box 90 degrees to the TV and bounce the remote signal off a piece of aluminum foil. The remote works every time all the time. I set a clock in on the entertainment center to block the view of the rear cabling on the box.

I have heard the opposite of what u are saying. The remote stops working after t.v. Warms up. Try turning the blue key on your tv 2 remote over to green then reprogram your remote address.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)