Vip622 and audio connections

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gary o

Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Warrenton MO
I have a Vip622 dual receiver and a Sony KDSR50XBR1 HDTV.

My Mom is now living with us and her hearing is not the best.

I need to hook up a set of wireless headphones for her to use so my wife and I don't lose our hearing.

My TV manual says the audio outputs on the back of the Sony are only active if the TV speakers are set to OFF. That's not going to happen unless I invest in a Tuner/Amp and I don't want to do so at this point.

I want to know if there's any reason I can't use the L/R audio outputs on the back of the Vip622 receiver to feed the wireless headphone transmitter. I know I might need a RCA plug to miniature phone plug adapter, depending on which headphone set I buy, and that's not a problem. I'm more interested in knowing if the output from the back of the Vip622 is suitable.

Thanks for you help.

Thanks for the response.

I believe the set of headphones I had previously had an amplifier built into the transmitter section, so I'm pretty certain that I need to be sure the new ones do also.

Wireless headphones will always have the amplifier in the headphone.

Are you sure she will be able to use a wireless headphone for extended periods. Many are rather heavy. I know I don't like them.

If not, then you might need to go with a wired headphone. If so then you would to take the audio L/R outputs from the 622 and run them into something that amplifies the signal. This can be an old receiver with headphone outputs, or a headphone amplifier.

There are a lot of expensive headphone amps, but there are less pricey ones around, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-S-Amp-...3032/ref=pd_bbs_9/104-8058278-3821549?ie=UTF8

A number on eBay too.

I was going with the wireless for a few reasons, the most important one being lack of wires. :D

It will be difficult enough to get my Mom to use them at all, much more difficult if she felt "teathered" to the TV.

I know that there are lightweight wired headphones out there. On the Sennheiser ones I bought, the headset itself only weighs 10-11 Oz.

If my Mom won't use them, perhaps I'll use them myself to control my own listening volume.

works good

I did this for a friend that is hard of hearing and it worked real well for him, he has been using for about 6 months or so. I connected just like you are suggesting. The headphones were Sennheiser wireless.

I hooked up the Sennheiser RS130s yesterday. Used the audio outputs on the back of the Vip622 receiver and the sound is excellant. No extraneous noise at all.

Mom will try them tonight. If she doesn't like them, and it's a possability, I may use them myself to adjust my personal volume to a reasonable level. :D

There is a TV and receiver in her room, but she wants to be out in the family room with my wife and myself. If you don't have a Mom who's 83, you probably wouldn't understand. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)