VIP622 and Surge Protectors

I just upgraded from a Dish 811 HD receiver to a ViP211 and a ViP222. I've been using a Monster HTS3600 power center for all of my equipment, including the Dish Network signal to their receiver. The installer said it would probably work since it worked with E* signals previously.

I hooked it up after the installer left because it takes a while to disconnect and connect the coax on the back of an HTS3600 in a crowded video stand. Anyway, it sort of worked, but I got freezes and breakups that I didn't get when the installer hooked up the receiver directly to the coax source.

So I disconnected it and all is well. I don't think the HTS3600 can handle the 3000 MHz rating that E* expects for everything in their current systems. Since those babies are $500 a pop, I don't plan on buying another one any time soon.

Yep. There's a reason the technician didn't hook the coax up through that power supply. The same reason none of us do. NEVER EVER connect the input through one of those power supplies. Even if it's "Monster" or some other overpriced brand. Reason 1: No matter what they say on the box, they are not designed to be used with E* equipment. They are not compatible, and cause all kinds of problems. Not the least of which is burning out the coax pass through on the surge protector, the receiver or both. Reason 2: What are you trying to accomplish? Trying to "filter" "noise" out of the line? This isn't analog, there's nothing to filter out. Trying to protect against power irregularities? The system should already be grounded. Putting it through the surge protector will likely cause the system to malfunction because there may be a different voltage potential between the ground at the ground block and the ground at the surge protector. Now, I'm only talking about the incoming coax here, not the power plug for the receiver. I'm not trying to be surly here, but I've had to deal with more service calls on this issue than I can count.

I had posted an ad in the classifieds to sell these but the ad was pulled because they don't allow dealer posts in the classifieds, just the occasional item someone wants to unload. I can sell them to anyone who wants one. I'm probably pushing it as it is with these posts.

I had posted an ad in the classifieds to sell these but the ad was pulled because they don't allow dealer posts in the classifieds, just the occasional item someone wants to unload. I can sell them to anyone who wants one. I'm probably pushing it as it is with these posts.

vegassatellite, does this brand come in eight plug version too? HNP6-X-T-S

They are not the model specified as approved by Dish and they have no means of connecting coax for protection.

There are MANY that will work fine, that's not what was being discussed.

I don't ever connect coax thru my protectors. I have heard of too many problems with that. I just run the telephone and of course the power chords to it. I know that might not be a good idea. Maybe I should. Any thoughts on the coax not going thru the protectors!!

I don't ever connect coax thru my protectors. I have heard of too many problems with that. I just run the telephone and of course the power chords to it. I know that might not be a good idea. Maybe I should. Any thoughts on the coax not going thru the protectors!!

That's why the specific model being discussed was mentioned. It is approved by Dish for PROPERLY handling the coax signal.

Proper surge protection requires that you build a "shell" around your components by making sure every outside source runs through your surge protector. Leaving any open paths such as a coax totally defeats the purpose of protecting that equipment. It doesn't do you any good to have $100s of dollars worth of surge protection, UPS equipment, etc., if you are going to leave a path open for a surge.

HNP6-x-t-s is only in a 6 outlet configuration. You can add power bars to it and they will be protected since the power is being fed through the protected device.

Proper surge protection requires that you build a "shell" around your components by making sure every outside source runs through your surge protector. Leaving any open paths such as a coax totally defeats the purpose of protecting that equipment. It doesn't do you any good to have $100s of dollars worth of surge protection, UPS equipment, etc., if you are going to leave a path open for a surge.

HNP6-x-t-s is only in a 6 outlet configuration. You can add power bars to it and they will be protected since the power is being fed through the protected device.

OK, understand. I need to re-think the coax connection. Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)